No Heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

disvnvet

Reaction score
I am working on daughters 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer with climate control system and trying to determine what I should fix. When operating the Climate Control Head, everthing switched to appropriate areas i.e. defroster, floor, floor/panel, etc and max air.

Problem: Have very little heat coming from front or rear. It is slightly warmer than cold and the temp guage is reading normal.

I checked the heater hoses at the firewall and both were hot and blower worked normal. Based on a lot of suggestions, I have taken off the dash and inspected within. The blend door itself looks fine and so does the heater core. The blend door actuator is in the full closed position which it would be, I think, for maximum heat. The below link has a picture of the blend door position and other pictures of vacuum operated switches that I checked for function.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l595/1964Malibu/Expedition Heat Air/

Please post in your browser if it does highlight and confirm the door position.

Since the problem is front and rear, I am beginning to think that I have wasted by time since the problem is front and rear and not just the front.

I have read where others have replaced their water pump and solved their problem.

To be honest, I am lost. If the problem is front and rear could both have failed at the same time? The air conditioning works fine front and rear.

It would also be helpful if someone can tell me how to check the blend door actuator with a external power source also since the dash and electrical system is disconnected.

Please advise if I should do something else before I put any money into replacing components that are probably good. I need to proceed quickly since she was using my 2004 expedition until Monday Night when she got hit by a drunk driver. It is possible now that my car is going to be totalled and she is without transportation and I am stuck with my Fusion.

I thought I covered all the bases before I started but now that I have torn it down, I am really second guessing myself and thinking that "The further I go, the behinder I get"

00expi

Reaction score
Man I feel your pain.

I bought my expi just to go to north dakota. like an idiot i only checked that the AC worked cuz who the heck ever drove a car that didn't blow scorching hot air?

well i had the dealer flush it and that helped a *little*.

i did all the stuff your talking about. did thermostat, checked the blend doors etc.

i pretty much gave up. then i took it to maddy's in seattle for a ball joint job (good guys there) and after a chat he suggested a new radiator cap. he offered me one for free that may have even been used and also was rated 1psi less than the one i had on there.

i think he was on to something too because when my truck was hot the radiator cap did not hiss when unscrewed and also the main upper hose was too easy to squeeze.

it's still kinda weird. my truck at idle does not get real hot. once you up the rpms even a little bit you can instantly feel it get warmer. to me that is a flow issue and not the water heating up from the extra load.

this is a REAL COMMON problem with this generation of fords i notice. my housemate's f150 behaves similarly and it's a 5.4L.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't read in your post that you checked the coolant level. Make sure the system is full.
Also, since you are this far, take the blend door right out and look carefully at the bottom where it mounts the actuator. Mine was cracked but still worked and failure was not far away.
there should also be a plastic shroud around the heater core if I am not mistaken and it looks like yours is not present.

Last edited:

agree

Reaction score
thermostat

Hi !
I have the same problem. I changed almost everything...
But... i can see that on my thermostat is written 195 degrees and i know that for Ford are lots of different kinds of thermostats with different degrees 160 etc. Which one is better for good (hot) heating 195 or 160????? ...or others???

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your engine is stock I would stick with the factory recommendation. Not sure what it is for your vehicle but they spec it for a reason. Ford engineers design the engine to run at a certain temperature for reasons of performance, economy, longevity, and others. Don't second guess them without adequate reason. A 195 degree stat will heat your vehicle just fine.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
always keep your thermostat at the stock temp. dont change it. youll wonder why you are getting really bad mileage if you do change it.

99exp

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 99xlt, the first thing I did was change the thermostat.... 195 degrees is recommended, then I blew out the heater core with compressed air, it's much better now. Check your anti freeze level and also the base of the blend door they are notorious for cracking where it mounts to the actuator. Your going to have to get power to the blend door actuator to ensure the blend door is funtioning properly while you have the dash a part.

98nhexpy

Reaction score
While my 98 EB Expy does not have the rear A/C-Heat, I did have a blend door issue during this past summer. These are very common failures...so I would recommend that you first confirm the actuator motor and vane are indeed moving properly.

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any resolution on this?

Same issue as OP... troubleshoot checks as his were...

My current issue at hand is that my rear climate controls in the back seat (overhead) do not work... No blower, - Checked fuse, (fuse not installed) swaped power seat 30 into that socket & still no go... Can anyone confirm the relay on that AUX blower is on the pass. side rear trim panel right behind the back door? -- Thx... -- Long time no see peeps :)

bigal8thomas

Reaction score
help i have oil and water mix in radiator but truck has never run hot. not mixed on oil cap or dipstick just slimey in rad resivore. seems like it burns oil though any ideas