Ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im pretty sure i know what is causing it but i just want some opinions but first a little background.

I have always done oil changes myself but last week i just didnt feel like it since i was sick so i took it to Walmart and them do it. I told them to change it with Mobil-1 synthetic since thats what the truck had since day one. So anyway, all was good until 2days which was really cold, I started the truck to go to work and i heard this real faint ticking noise come and go so i sat there until the truck warmed up.

Now normally when that ticking sounds comes and goes its an indication of low oil. I got to work (5 min drive) checked the oil and it was fine. So next thing that came to mind is a lifter might be bad or needs to be tightened. How can i make sure/check lifters.

Also one other possibility could be an exhaust leak from manifold will cause ticking as well and again how do i check this too without having to go to a shop and bend over...

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
umm it dosn't have lifters . lifters are in push rod engines(old
style like 5.0 5.8 v 8s) remember the trytons have 2 cam shafts
on top of each head ran by timeing chains
now the exaust leak look at cylnder 3 and 4and see if the are rotted this is real bad if they use salt to deice the roads .

OP
OP
L

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, your right about the lifter i guess i was thinking about my LS1 trans am when i was typing this...As far as deicing roads i live in florida so they dont use anything like that but it has been hella cold. Only other thing i can think of when Walmart changed the oil maybe they used a different grade that caused the ticking. Im going to change the oil again this weekend and see if that helps any.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed that when I used the Mobil 1 5w30 high-mileage I had a cold startup tick periodically. The regular 5w30 doesn't do it. I have a feeling that the viscosity on the high mileage formula is a thicker when cold so it can resist fuel dilution when it gets up to its 15,000 mileage. The modular motors have hydraulic lash adjusters that are similar to design to a lifter. One side of the cam follower which equates to rocker arm (closest explanation) rests on the the lash adjuster, the other on the valve. The cam presses on a roller that is basically in the middle of the follower.

The lash adjusters can have the same issues that plague a lifter on a pushrod motor......
Matt

OP
OP
L

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking when Walmart changed the oil. I looked at the work order but it doesnt state what grade of oil they put in....

Anyways i will change the oil myself over the weekend and just keep an eye on things to see if the ticking noise goes away or starts getting louder..

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i use 5w20 and its 0 here no ticking at all 56xxx

OP
OP
L

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the latest. I changed the oil a week and a half ago and since then i havent heard the ticking sound as i did before BUT is hasnt been cold the way it was before when the tick started. Figures lol

DaveS1955

Reaction score
Hey folks, I did a google for Ford Technical Service Bulletins and there is one that covers ticking noises. It is TSB number 03164.

The description says

SOME VEHICLES, EQUIPPED WITH THE 4.6L 2V ENGINE, WITH AN ENGINE BUILD DATE PRIOR TO 8/29/03 MAY EXHIBIT AN ENGINE TICK NOISE THAT IS PRESENT AT ALL TEMPERATURES DURING IDLE. 2004 MODELS INCLUDED. *TT

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
L

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I have read that before when i had the ticking noise, all i did was change the oil myself and it went away so my guess is that walmart used a different thickness.

NemesisNJ

Reaction score
Just some food for thought. I too had a ticking noise for the first half of the winter. I too thought it was a temperature issue. Had my oil changed and the tick was still there. When I took my truck to get new shocks and brakes, my mechanic noticed the fuel injector lead was dangling, which was ticking from bouncing back and forth. And ironically it only happened when I started up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01