VERY Noisy Power Steering Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, My power steering pump was noisy ever since I got the Expy, however now that its cold outside, it is EXTREMELY noisy when you first start it. Moving the wheel back and forth a few times, and it quiets back down to the dull whine it always has..

SO, I was hoping to wait until spring to change it, but I am wondering how ling it will last like this. Anyone have any advice? Or have this problem? Will it last till spring? It will be warmer then as the Expy wont fit in my garage :)

If I need to replace it ASAP, has anyone done this? Also, how can I tell if it has the speed sensitive steering?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do my own work when possible and I dont want any surprises if I can avoid it. I have changed a PS pump before on a Taurus and had to press the pulley on.

I welcome any thoughts or advice.

Dave

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think all Expys have SSS. There is no way to say how long it will go till the pump goes. But i can tell you by experience that you will have fun trying to turn the wheels on that 7000 lb beast if it does go!

colemanwhite123

Reaction score
I had a mechanic look at the vehicle and he lifted it up and we spent 45 minutes going over the truck...the only bad thing was that the power was a little dirty.

Last edited:

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Dave, I have two suggestions the first is to drain the fluid out and replace it with "power steering fluid" not transmission fluid, if you can find a synthetic power steering fluid this would be a plus, check Amsoil products...or my second suggestion is to turn the radio up louder! LOL....you can do in which ever order you like...

rcreecer

Reaction score
I've had the same issues with all kinds of different vehicles. A drain and fill usually takes care of it. Also, the Lucas power steering conditioner is fantastic stuff. I added a few ounces to the wife's Honda, and 40k later its still purring right along.

OP
OP
K

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the guy at the ford dealership suggested the Lucas tretment, so I tried it and it didnt make a difference, in fact, at startup on a cold day it is worse.. After gently moving the wheel back and forth a few times it goes back to the normal loud moaning. I think it will make it to spring and I will replace it.

rcreecer

Reaction score
Dave - check and make sure there isn't any air in the system and your fluid level is good. Pop the cap off the reservoir and have somebody else take it from full lock to full lock a couple of times. Shine a flashlight into the reservoir and look for air bubbles.