5 Lug to 6 Lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackhoney

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to convert their 5 lug expy's to 6 lug, so that some of the newer wheels can be used on their expy? I currently have a 97 4x4 expy XLT and would like to know if anyone has attempted to try this.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure on this one because the rear on the 6 lug expeds is independent rear suspension that have a half shaft instead of a solid axle. You would have to do alot of conversion to get the 6 lug pattern in the rear using some kind of factory parts. Aftermarket would be able to custom make you some different rear axles, but then you would have to fabricate up the brake system up and adapt the rotors.

Just not worth the trouble IMO unless you have something bigger planned other than needing an extra lug....

Matt R

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Green his 97 has a solid rear axle but I agree that it is likely more trouble than it's worth, especially just to expand wheel choices.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, you can spend the big bucks and get larger brakes to go with your larger wheels. The starting point for larger brakes on your truck is about $2,000.

Newer trucks may be able to use Baer's EradiSpeed plus kit that includes larger rotors and a caliper-relocation kit, for about $800 or so. I know they have it for the newer F150s, not sure about the Expeditions. But they definitely don't have it for your truck, because I'd have it if they did!

You can also upgrade your rotors and pads like many folks do, including me. These bolt right up just like the OEM parts.

Or you can do nothing like most people do.

At any rate, rotor upgrades don't change the number of lugs.

Last edited: