Best way to clean engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HA Ha! I dont have the cops so i just hit it with Purple Power and blast the hell out of it!

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heres what i do to my trucks and in my detailing business.

1:cover any open intake filter.

2:spray it very heavily with 100% simple green.

3: let sit for about 10-15mins

4:hose it down, do it again if need be.

never had an issue doing it this way, with the pressure washer thats a diff story lol

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think Simple Green and aluminum were a good match?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i dont think it would be a good mix either. i do need to clean my engine bay though. everytime i go to the desert or a dust road i open my hood and its tan. all the dirt sticks to EVERYTHING! its sad... :( i might cover all the cops and put an engine degreaser on it and hose it down.

dougmcp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would keep water away from the cop's. It would be easy for water to fill up the spark plug hole and damage a cop or spark plug. Ask me how I know :).
Me too, I never had any problems until I washed the motor and got water down in the #4 hole. Got the check engine light, missing a 1 cylinder; a COP replacement, CEL reset and I was good to go. Haven't washed the engine since.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Fords are really touch with water and coil packs...I used to be involved with a used car lot and I bought allot of auctioned police cars.... every time we washed a crown vic we had problems with coil packs...so we had the porter take the coil packs off and then was the engine....then took the air hose and blew all the water off and the plug holes dry....screwed in a set fresh of plugs and put the coil packs back on and ran like a top...never had a problem with a crown vic again....but I seen what my mechanic went through changing the plugs on Expo...no not in a hurry to wash the engine and start a problem...I bought a degreaser at auto zone in a purple bottle...shit works awesome....spray it in the door jambs, bugs on the front even brake dust and my white letter tires....I just did under the hood of my brother in laws mini van and it looks brand new...its like 3.99 or 4.99 in a spray bottle...spray on let it set and hose it off...if you have a pressure washer it will work even better...

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a degreaser and spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes and hose it off. usually about every 4-5 months, I have swapped a few cops since ive owned it but i think that was due to high milage?