WD-40 did not fix the DOOR AJAR problem . . . any additional assistance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy(SC)

Reaction score
We picked up a 2003 Expedition XLT with 55K on it. The dealer "neglected" to tell me about the DOOR AJAR light until all the paperwork was done and I was ready to leave (don't ask . . we bought it long distance and it seems like a dumb idea at this point with an A/C problem that has also arisen . . . but that's another story!)

I sprayed the locks on all 4 doors, the tailgate and the glass with WD-40 and then cycled them open and closed a number of times. The light stays on . . . . . if I have a bad sensor, is this a "do-it-yourself" problem or a "take-it-to-the-dealer and empty your wallet" problem? How do you narow down the bad door?

Is this the reason the interior lights stay on?

Thanks in advance

Andy

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
You have a door ajar. If the computer thinks so it must be true. ;)

Usually cleaning the door latch contacts fixes this, it did for my Explorer. With the door open the interior lights will also stay on for several minutes.

Let us know the solution, it's gotta be common but no one has answered your question here and the other similar one.

-- Chuck

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the WD-40 did not fix the locks the dealer/stealer should. Most states, I'm in Wisconsin, have a lemon law. Its pretty much 3 months/3000 miles you have to find all the problems and have them fix them for you at their cost not yours. If they won't fix the locks and the AC for free report them to the better buisness bureau and threaten to contact an attorney. They have an obligation to you, as the buyer, to provide you with a vehicle with no mechanical problems when you buy it. The only way they could possibly get around it is if the vehicle was labeled as is when you bought it. Even then the your states lemon law should over rule what ever they had it labeled as.

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing i can say is try again. I have seen it work more often than not. But maybe you have a bad plunger that tells the lights to stay on? Make sure it is not stuck in on one of the doors. My child locks engage on their own free will it is somehow related i do believe.

OP
OP
A

Andy(SC)

Reaction score
Any way to tell which door it is . . . is $350 a fair price to repair

I called the Ford dealer and he said that the DOOR AJAR problem was a real common one . . . makes you feel good no?

He said that it was a bad door switch and would be 2-3 hours of labor plus the part and figure about $350 to $400 for the repair.

Any thoughts on this price? Is there anyone with some tips on fixing it yourself?

Thanks

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouch, try the WD 40 thing again ... spray it ... open and close it 4-5 times then spray it again. I myself cant justify 400 bucks for that for that price i would buy the part and try myself it couldnt be that bad could it?

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you recently purchased the vehicle, within 3000 miles, I would really press him on fixing the lock for nothing under your states lemon law if they have one. Otherwise try the wd 40 again. I use silcone spray on mine when the light comes on. It seems to work a little better than wd40. Another problem you may have is with rattling doors. This is due to the ****** factory door seals that ford puts on the vehicle. I pressed my local dealer enough to the point where ford paid to replace all but one of the seals. With a thicker silicone based type seal. I did the other one myself. Even after the couple of problems I have had myself I am still happy I bought the 2003 XLT that I did.

OP
OP
A

Andy(SC)

Reaction score
Will this result in a dead battery?

Did not get to try the WD-40 again thanks to the rain we've been getting . . . . . but did walk out to a dead battery this AM! :mad:

I turned the interior light dimmer switch to the full off position (all the way down) . . . will this keep the battery from draining down until I get the switch issue fixed?

This is a real frustrating issue especially if it is killing my battery now!

Thanks

Last edited:

Patrick

Reaction score
try pulling the fuse, looking at your maual it is fuse # 21. it is for the cluster and some other minor items. this should work untill you can figure out what the problem is

patrick

jlw0211

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am having the same issue. If you pull the fuse(#21) it also kills all your lites and the gauge cluster will not work. I pulled mine out last nite after the interior lites wouldn't go out, after watching them for 15min.

I have friends that work at my local dealership and they said that it is a common problem and that it is not that costly to fix. Not sure what you dealerships labor rate is.