2010 EL Stereo - Stock Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

This summer we decided to upgrade the stereo in our 2010 Ford Expedition EL with something a little better that would help with my daily commute and on those long trips. Thought I would pass it on for enjoyment...

A few of our requirements:
Full upgrade will all OEM functionality
Minimal custom modification to speaker locations
Must fit in stock locations - due to how often we haul stuff a big ole sub woofer box like I would normally want just wouldn't work.
Enough volume to make it reasonable without blowing the budget or requiring serious mods...so onto the goodies

The components:
JBL P660C
Infinity Kappa 682.9cf
16 AWG Kicker Speaker Wire
NVX Sound deadening
JL Audio Stealthbox
Kenwood DNX5190
Power Acoustik PT-120CM 12" screen
Alpine PDXV9 5 Channel (birth certificate of 133 rmsx4 and 530rmsx1)
Memphis Audio amp kit/rcas
and the Idatalink maestro unit to integrate with all the sync goodies - just for the record this unit was a royal pain in the ass to install...took way longer than it should have, you have to program it out of the vehicle (which means you have to take it in and out and hook it to a computer to adjust settings). It is almost too "user freindly" for its own good. Regardless, its done and I retain all FORD sync functions and access points (eg USB in the armrest).

Onto the pictures, enjoy...

First the truck:
DSCN1653.jpg

IMG_9606.jpg

Front Speakers mid install - added more sound material before I was done (forgot to take pictures of the back)
IMG_9608.jpg

IMG_9609.jpg

Factory Sub
IMG_9765.jpg

The JL
IMG_9769.jpg
IMG_9770.jpg
IMG_9771.jpg
IMG_9775.jpg

Amp - MDF board mounted in cubby, covered in bedliner
IMG_9768.jpg
IMG_9766.jpg
IMG_9767.jpg

Head Unit (with lockout bypass for DVD/NAV installed)
IMG_9776.jpg
IMG_9777.jpg
IMG_9779.jpg
IMG_9780.jpg

Overhead Screen (12") - You couldn't go any bigger or it would get in the way of the overhead vents....It has LEDs - now it makes the other lights look dirty :p
IMG_9781.jpg
IMG_9782.jpg
IMG_9783.jpg
IMG_9784.jpg

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like my truck....just diff model...looks good...great install

OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What amazes me is how good the 10 sounds with 500 to it....not a set of 15s but very good in its own respect......

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
500 is a lot and what you have is a box...in a box...in a box...sub enclosure inside the panel...and the cabin being the final enclosure/box...more space for the air to travel...i think when its said and done...my final setup will have a 5th rim mounted on that side and everything redone...our install is very similar...you have your sub in the panel and i have my amp...my 4-ch is in the same spot as yours

OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to do a box like that. Look good

I 'was' going to do a fiberglass build myself....but then I used logic.....

JL 10W3 - around $260 from discount stores
Fiberglass/wood materials ~$100- $150 (lots of odd curves under there)
Mounting Bracket, carpet, etc ~$20

I paid $600 shipped for this complete unit......I probably paid about $100-$150 more than doing it myself.....but I saved the 10 hours it would have taken me with all the curves and layers.....well worth the extra money to save my time - I did the rest of the install in less than 10 hours....

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its the pride of the finish product you wouldve had and bragging rights that you did the work...if i knew how...i'd do it...and bask in the glory...lol

OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its the pride of the finish product you wouldve had and bragging rights that you did the work...if i knew how...i'd do it...and bask in the glory...lol

Its actually very easy, just a lot of work and time :)

whiteorca

Reaction score
Sub grill - where did you get it?

Hi - your thread was helpful. I'm installing a new 10" Polk DXi in the factory enclosure (bought off ebay with 8"sub). I want to put the same kind of grill you have. Where did you get it and can it be easily installed after all the trim is put on ? I'm having it professionally installed but don't want to wait for the grill. Very nice install by the way..I'm too cheap to go for the $650 replacement box.

OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi - your thread was helpful. I'm installing a new 10" Polk DXi in the factory enclosure (bought off ebay with 8"sub). I want to put the same kind of grill you have. Where did you get it and can it be easily installed after all the trim is put on ? I'm having it professionally installed but don't want to wait for the grill. Very nice install by the way..I'm too cheap to go for the $650 replacement box.

Sub grill came with the JL kit; its MDF wrapped in fabric with built in nuts that get screwed/bolted to the side panel. I put some sound deadening between the grill and panel to ensure no rattle.

As far as your idea of using the 10" in the factory enclosure I believe you are flawed. The polk is over 5" deep and you need spacing behind it. The factory 8 is something on the order of 2.5" deep. You would have to radically modify the factory enclosure to do three things (1) build out more depth (2) double the volume of the factory enclosure and (3) create a new mounting surface with enough space for excursion....this is all assuming the factory ABS plastic enclosure will withstand more SPL...Im not so sure it will without cracking. You are easily going to spend a couple hundred modifying that stock enclosure with fiberglass and mdf...

Keep in mind you can get the JL audio one for $600....that includes a
JL 10W3 - around $260 from discount stores; Fiberglass/wood materials ~$100- $150 (lots of odd curves under there); and then Mounting Bracket, carpet, etc ~$20...so it really only "costs" about 100 in labor ......and no mess up/guess work. I have done fiberglass before....it isn't hard as long as you know what you are doing but takes a very long time....Just something to consider...

Either way, good luck...