FYI - 2015 Ford Expedition to get 5.0 liter 32-valve Ti-VCT V-8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 10-speed automatic transmission would make good use of the 5.0’s torque. The first few gears will have ultra low gearing. So the 6.2 would not really be needed in the Expedition. A diesel engine would make more sense than the 6.2.

An experimental Expedition (U324) has been tested with the 4.4 liter "Lion" V-8 diesel engine, and this is still a possibility, later on, but don’t expect that motor to be available at launch.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here after talking to a guy with an F-250 and the 6.2L. Not that I would complain about a diesel either.

i drove a 2011 lariat limited 6.2 f-150 4x4 for a few days, talk about FUN!!!! holy crap! plus even beating the crap out of it i was getting 12mpg. i was very happy considering i hardly see double digits in my trucks.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone has not done a hybrid diesel it seems to make the most sense. Electric for city and Diesel for hwy. should get huge MPG and still tow a house.

Several European car companies are working on them, although mostly smaller cars (Jetta, Passat sized). They do get remarkable fuel economy this way.

Note that in the US, diesel still isn't considered a worthwhile option for most vehicles for two reasons. First, people remember the diesel cars from the 70's that were such lemons. Second, diesel is taxed more highly in the US, so cents/mile calcs fail for many vehicles, and even if the diesel is more economical to operate, the payback on the extra cost of the engine is very long.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i drove a 2011 lariat limited 6.2 f-150 4x4 for a few days, talk about FUN!!!! holy crap! plus even beating the crap out of it i was getting 12mpg. i was very happy considering i hardly see double digits in my trucks.

The guy I talked to had an extended cab pick up and was towing a 24 or 25ft box trailer. He said with that set up his mileage dropped to 14mpg.

dave91gt

Reaction score
I for one am excited about this. I have a 2012 FX4 5.0 and the wife drives an 08 Expy. I have said many times the Expy would be so much better with the 5.0. They are completely different powerplants. My truck will spin the tires at will and pulls clean to 6K. It is a very usable engine, has a soundtrack that is very V8, and gets pretty good fuel mileage (best of 21.9 this summer all highway). My wife and I drive the same commute daily and I always get 2 mpg better than her 5.4. Plus I embarrassed it on the entrance ramp. Another nit is the 5.4 downshifts in a headwind where the 5.0 holds sixth on all but the steepest hills. Love it. The rest of the Expy does need an upgrade, but this is a step in the right direction. I cannot believe Ford has neglected it for so long.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see that the E series van replacement will have a diesel. I wonder if that could make it into the Expy.

I wouldn't think the 3.7L V6 would have enough torque for an Expy even though on paper it has about the same 300 HP (although I haven't check the specs).

I take it there are no significant changes for 2013 or 2014? That's neglect right there. Don't touch anything for 8 years? I guess they got it right out of the box!

One good thing about limited changes is that the aftermarket (lift kits, mods, etc...) should already be out there for the new models!

G-Force

Reaction score
I am excited about this as well, but I don't think our 2003 Expedition will last another 2 years. I wish this was coming for the 2014 model refresh instead.

OP
OP
L

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...I take it there are no significant changes for 2013 or 2014? That's neglect right there. Don't touch anything for 8 years? I guess they got it right out of the box!

One good thing about limited changes is that the aftermarket (lift kits, mods, etc...) should already be out there for the new models!

The Expedition is expected to be all-new, not a refresh. So it makes sense that they would save any product enhancements for the all-new SUV.

The new Expedition should be (if its not delayed) released next year (2014) as a 2015 model. It’s difficult to pen-point an exact release date, as the development project is kept under tight lock-and-key. No designers or engineers are to talk about their work until after Ford gives the green light for a formal release.

Keep an eye on websites like Autoblog and Leftlane, as they tend to post spy-photos of test mules that car companies take out on open public roads for road testing during the development process.

The 2015 F-150 test mules have already been spotted, and the Expedition will show up sooner or later.

f0ca94245800522.jpg

141e53245800512.jpg

To the untrained eye, this test-mule looks like a current F-150, but this truck wears unique manufacturer plates, test sensors taped on the exterior, and the body panels are likely aluminium. They do not fit together properly as they were quickly fitted for testing. Also note the front grille is not flush – there is an experimental powertrain under that hood - a unknown engine and possibly the 10-speed automatic transmission. Keep in mind the finished 2015 F-150 will look nothing like the current F-150.

This test-mule vehicle will be scrapped once testing is complete.

So... what will the future 2015 F-150 and Expedition look like? Take a good look at the Ford Atlas concept unveiled at this year’s Detroit International Auto Show. The Expedition and F-150 will likely take some of its design cues.

7c275e245800528.jpg

G-Force

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights LocDoc. I hate to invest any more money in our 10 year old vehicle to keep it running for another year, but I will consider it.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I for one am excited about this. I have a 2012 FX4 5.0 and the wife drives an 08 Expy. I have said many times the Expy would be so much better with the 5.0. They are completely different powerplants. My truck will spin the tires at will and pulls clean to 6K. It is a very usable engine, has a soundtrack that is very V8, and gets pretty good fuel mileage (best of 21.9 this summer all highway). My wife and I drive the same commute daily and I always get 2 mpg better than her 5.4. Plus I embarrassed it on the entrance ramp. Another nit is the 5.4 downshifts in a headwind where the 5.0 holds sixth on all but the steepest hills. Love it. The rest of the Expy does need an upgrade, but this is a step in the right direction. I cannot believe Ford has neglected it for so long.

Another fan!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!