Slow battery drain.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zmorrow

Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB expo. I have had it for about 2 months and this just started happening. I went out one morning to start my truck and it had a bit of a rough start, but it started...the next morning it did the same thing, and the 3rd morning it would not start at all..but once given a jump start, it would run fine...so I thought the battery must be going out, because every morning it would never start...so I replaced the battery, and it car still does it...if it sits for over 6 hrs. the battery is dead. I have made sure that everything is unplugged from the outlets, made sure the lights were off (not on auto), radio was off, etc...and nothing seems to help...the truck will run forever while its running, which tells me the alternator is fine....so how would I go about finding out what is draining the battery? Is there a quick way to determine what could be causing this? I'm at a loss and am not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Zach

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best way to make sure the alertnator isn't dying is to get it tested at autozone or kragens

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
yes the alt is charging but , it could be discharging the battery as well. the alt could be shorted out. is the battery stone dead?

About three hours after you shut it down go out and put your hand on the alt to see if its warm or hot to the touch.if it is replace it.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the positive side of the battery and cover it with a rag or something as to not short. Then leave it overnight. Reconnect it in the morning and try it. Or you could check it with a meter, although I'm not sure what amperage draw is normal when its off. I'd assume something lower than an amp.

If you use the meter check the draw off the battery, then start pulling fuses in the engine bay and wait for the draw to go down. Then reinstall the removed fuse that killed the draw and test it again. If that looks like your cuplrit check the manual for what that feeds then have fun finding a short.

If you don't think you'll be able to find the short then look for your circuit that has the short using the above method and take it to a shop saying you suspect you have a short in whatever circuit.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
This is a Ford problem, or I've just been unlucky with both my Explorer and Expedition. The 12v outlets are wired direct to the battery and not thru the ignition.

If I could rewire them I would (anyone?!). My microwave radio receiver will discharge the battery over the weekend if I don't turn it off.

-- Chuck

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm looking for something more dummy proof!

Maybe jumpering that connector to something only hot with the ignition on. An inline fuse would protect the circuit. Some quality time with a flashlight under there may be what's needed.

My trailer 12v aux line is ignition-relay switched. I'm not sure why the power points are always hot. Actually a setup like the radio and power windows which work for a few minutes after the ignition is off (or until a door is opened) would be ideal.

I've had to install Priority Start units on both trucks to be able to start them if I forget to pull all the plugs.

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zmorrow

Reaction score
Well I just found out the warranty I have on mine is good for electrical problems..so I will be taking it in next week. I have been unplugging the ground every night so I can start it with no problems...I have noticed that the odometer is on when the car is off, but not with the milage..just with "-------------", nothing else...and the "OD OFF" light on the shift lever is dim, but lit up non the less....so there has got to be a short somewhere...I'm not worried about it..I'll let Ford worry about it. :) Thanks for the replies.

Z

Rick

Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB expo. I have had it for about 2 months and this just started happening. I went out one morning to start my truck and it had a bit of a rough start, but it started...the next morning it did the same thing, and the 3rd morning it would not start at all..but once given a jump start, it would run fine...so I thought the battery must be going out, because every morning it would never start...so I replaced the battery, and it car still does it...if it sits for over 6 hrs. the battery is dead. I have made sure that everything is unplugged from the outlets, made sure the lights were off (not on auto), radio was off, etc...and nothing seems to help...the truck will run forever while its running, which tells me the alternator is fine....so how would I go about finding out what is draining the battery? Is there a quick way to determine what could be causing this? I'm at a loss and am not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Zach

This seems to be a common problem. Check your rear wiper motor.