Diesel Conversion ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Invictus

Reaction score
Would it be feasible to convert a 1999 Expedition to a Diesel Engine ?? Finding a donor would be no problem..

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt it but then again...deep pockets can do just about anything automotive.

What engine were you thinking of swapping in?

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Too heavy and a tad bit too long, I would assume.

A new front end would be in order. Not the body but the subframe and suspension.

Would a compatible tranny even fit in the hump?

I would say it would be easier to convert a Dodge QC into an SUV. Especially since in Mexico they have a Ramcharger that is based off the Ram reg cab, short bed.

Hell, even stretching one of those would be easier! :D If you could get it...

quakebuilder

Reaction score
i have been toying with this idea for a few months now and i called an engine supply company to get an idea of weights. the 4.6 weighs 400lbs, the powerstroke 7.3 weighs in at 870! for transmissions options though i would prefer a stick and then swap in a dana 60/70 rear out of a superduty to get the speed sensor. i would think that a heavier front spring will definately be required for stock applications however since we are installing suspension systems in our Trophy Truck conversions the new longer/heavier coil would most likely work.

has anyone else given this serious thought?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what about the 6 liter? with some good head studs they can make alot of power bone stock and hold up. i think it is a bit smaller and lighter.

Matt R

737jet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm probably wrong about this but I'll give it a shot. My buddy was looking to get a 1997 f250 diesel. I never saw it, just read the add.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that front end/clip be the same as a 1997 f150? wich is the front end of an EXP?