Thumping from rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camd94234

Reaction score
I recently got my parents 03 expedition and it has a thumping noise from the rear going about 20-30mph and i thought it was tires so i put new tires on it and didnt fix it... My boss who has been working on cars for 30 years and has an ase. And we put it on the lift and he thought it was the rotors because were warped. I turned then and it is still there. Btw we herd nothing that was put of the normal like bearings struts or anything. The car used to sit for months at a time.. Has anybody had this issue? Should i worry about it?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the exact conditions to reproduce the problem? What gear are you in, D,1,2,3? Is it in 2WD AWD, 4WDH, 4WDL. Does your truck have RCS etc.

OP
OP
C

Camd94234

Reaction score
Doesnt matter what your in awd 2h, i put the car in N shut it off and i could still hear it. I have not tried it in 4wd. What is rcs? And it is just a constant thump thump thump thump around 20-30 mph.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Maybe U-joint bearing seized?! Could be hard to see with visual inspection.

The best way to tell would be remove driveshaft from the pinion flange and check for freedom of movement both directions. Mark flange and driveshaft so it can be reinstalled in the same position prior to removing.

I have heard the rear u-joint fails far more often than tranny side u-joint.

Other than that it leaves damaged ring gear or bad bearings?!

If it is a U-joint eventually it can fail and the driveshaft is free to exit the vehicle. Not a good thing!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Camd94234

Reaction score
U joints move freely. I pressed on the ebrake today just to see and it shut it up i think i have some rust build up on it or i need to ebrake pads