4x4 WONT ENGAGE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gregc729

Reaction score
Ok guys I had a friend do the the upper and lower ball joints and control arm on my 1999 for expedition XLT both sides...This was done about 2 months ago ...The other day I went to pull a stump out and was not able to engage the truck in to 4 wheel drive ... I hear no click when I turn the knob and the light dosnt come on in the dash window ... When I first start the truck the... 4x4 light comes on then go off ... Is there any thing I can look at before sending the truck to the shop Thanks Again Greg !!!!! :goofy_batman::goofy_batman::goofy_batman::goofy_batman::goofy_batman::goofy_batman::goofy_batman::goofy_batman::goofy_batman:

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep shift motor more than likely but check your vacumm lines first. May get lucky and have them unplugged

I was thinking vacuum lines myself. Seeing as there's no noise detectable when you flick the switch I'd start there. If they're good then it's likely the shift motor as mentioned. Look for one online and you'll same some cash. Amazon and rock auto both carry them.

OP
OP
G

gregc729

Reaction score
ok guys just getting around to look at this now that we are heading some where that has snow .... Where can I find a diagram showing me the vacuum lines that would effect the 4x4 not to engage .... Thanks again Greg !!!!!

B

bedrck46

would also check your fuses Check this post "yet more 4 wheel drive problems" there are prints there for a 97 but the wiring is the same for your 99. Could be a bad fuse or bad relays or a bad selector switch. At least check for power before you replace parts

B

bedrck46

Also check the wiring to the wheel speed sensors. Being you had the ball joints and control arms replaced. I know when I replaced mine it does tend to put some stress on those wires if your not careful.

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
does anyone have a picture of the module behind the fuse box? I have same problem. Worked then nothing. I've tested the switch. I get 4v then 3v then 1v. Awd , 4h and 4l. no clicking, no lights. I opened the hood where the airlines go to hubs. Nothing there. Fuses are good. Does the power come from the shift motor?

MEXMIGHTY

Reaction score
4x4 problem

hey guys need some help! the other day I got into the exp and was on my way to the store when the 4x4 automatically kicked in. the dash light shows the 4x4 light but the knob was still in AWD. its a 1999 expedition. shes babyed all the time and is my daily driver. since I got it ive never used the 4x4. I don't really have to I'm in s texas. any help is greatly appreciated