Clicking Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I just purchased a 1999 EB Expy 2wd 4.6 . We love the truck except for this noise. When you are at a complete stop and you push the gas somtimes i will hear a popping sound. It doesnt do it all the time just some times. Any Ideas. Oh the truck has 87000mi on it.

Also another annoying noise i heard is the little chrome hub piece that snaps on is loose and it moves around and makes noise when i drive, any quick fixes for this. I have tried to take it off and put it back on but that didnt solve the problem.

Thankyou in advance for your help.

Tommy

OP
OP
G

Not trying to confuse anyone but i just registered. I meant to also say that the noise comes from under the truck.

OP
OP
G

Anyone have an idea? It really sounds more like a grinding, it doesnt happen everytime just sometimes. And only when you barely push the gas pedal. Most of the time it is in reverse but it can do it in drive.

abbyzdad

Reaction score
Big Eddie B

not sure on the clicking/popping noise--is it temprature sensitive (extreme cold or hot), front or rear, left or right side? under body nioses can be very hard to diagnose. my superduty pops once on the front right side of the cab floor on each hard pull form a stop--ford tech said "normal flex at body mount bushing". very annoying.

if the chorme hub cap is for a newer model, then you prob have a cap for 14 m.m. lug nuts but have 12 m.m. on your expy. ford changed lug nut size mid '99 (i think) so the caps changed too.

hope this helps, brian

OP
OP
G

Well i have finally gotten tired and frustrated.... I dont know what the grinding noise is. probably something with the tranny. Im taking it in on wed. Also my truck is leaking some type of fluid i think it is tranny fluid but it could be oil. My question is do ext warranties usually cover this. I have no clue the warranty was on it when i bought it. Also my brakes are sqeeling when i first put them on. The pads look new. But they do not squeek all the time. Mostly when i first get in the truck. Any ideas...

Thanks for your help/

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess would be your slip yoke on the driveshaft (rear). Ford does not give you the ability to lube it via a zerk fitting so you'll have to drop it yourself and do it by hand.

I had the same problem with my Excursion. It is a common problem with Super Dutys.

abbyzdad, check your front sway bay bushings. That is one of the reasons for popping in your Super Duty. But it'll make itself know during off camber climbs such as going into a steep driveway sideways.

There is also a TSB concerning the cab mounts.

OP
OP
G

Unfortunately Im not mechanically inclined so i will have to take it in, is it hurting the tranny with me driving it. Could that slip yoke be what is leaking out?

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
G

Just got back from the Ford Dealer. The service manger was a smart butt. I cant stand him.

The fixed the oil leak but they could not find the noise under the truck. I drove it around the lot with the mech in there and guess what no noise. I drive all the way back home no noise. Then finally after im back in my town, it starts the noise again. But only does it sometimes.. I had them relube all the parts underneath, guess that didnt help.

I WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!:shootout: :matchup:

Joval

Reaction score
I had the same problem (clicking noise) and I realized I had lost one of the end bolt of my anti-sway bar.

I used an alternative one so DOES ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN FIND ON THE INTERNET THE AUTO PARTS RELATED TO THE RUBBER BUSHINGS AS WELL AS THE END BOLTS

GRACIAS

JOVAL

EXPY 98' EB 4X4

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try fordpartsonline.com

_____

The slipyoke cannot be lubed unless you take it apart. Basically it is the short end of the driveshaft that goes into the long end of the driveshaft. The slip yoke allows the driveshaft to lengthen when the suspension flexes. There is not lube fitting to lube it.

Ford puts lube on it but in my experiennce some have enough and some don't. The noise is the slipyoke either taking up slack or freeing itself from being "jammed" of sort. It doesn't happen all the time and if not severe can be difficult to duplicate....as you've noticed...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni