98 expedition Heater problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bschmitt07

Reaction score
I have searched high and low for a solution to this problem and have found nothing so if i missed something I apologize ahead of time. Recently Ive let my truck warm up for awhile say 15min get in and drive the heat is nice and warm for 10 min or so then the heat begins to blow cold and the engine temp guage spikes like the truck is overheating the truck starts to run like garbage no power not missing or anything so i assume it goes into fail-safe mode then just as quickly as it started the heat is back and the truck is running fine then shortly the cycle will repeat itself. The thermostat has been changed and we tested the heater core for flow. Im sort of thinking cht sensor or ect sensor, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

OP
OP
B

bschmitt07

Reaction score
I forgot to add that when the truck "overheats" that the oil light comes on and the check engine light comes on and i tryed to pull the codes and it says no codes stored so that was a bust

gazbold

Reaction score
Sounds wild but..

Hi

I'm probably way off but these are similar symptoms to coolant getting into the engine via a cracked block or such like.

Does the engine run rough ?

How's your oil look ? Is it getting like a creamy look on the filler cap ?

Is there excessive steam in the exhaust back at the tailpipe ? Can you detect the smell of antifreeze in your exhaust ?

Can you see air bubbles coming back into your coolant resevoir ? How's that coolant level, do you have to keep topping it up ?

OP
OP
B

bschmitt07

Reaction score
theres no smell the oil looks fine we flushed the system to try and remove any air bubbles and that didnt help at all and it only runs bad when all the dash lights come on and the heat goes cold but even then its not rough it just has no get up and go

Last edited:

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be the water pump impeller spinning on the shaft or just going out under load. This allows it to overheat and set off all the lights then the ECM goes into "limp" mode. ??

Last edited:

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I definatly agree with Jeff's post it could be the water pump or even though you have had the thermostat changed, you could have gotten a defective T - stat ( Have seen this happen on more than a couple of occasions ). When the thermostat was changed, was there a gasket used, or was RTV silicone used? ( Have also seen to much RTV used and it will squeeze into the thermostat and cause it to stick ).

OP
OP
B

bschmitt07

Reaction score
ok so today while driving the check engine light came on and stayed on so i took it to autozone and it said cylinder 4 misfire changed the plugs and it seemed to alleviate the problem some but seems to start to miss under load like going up hill. On the agenda for tommorow when the parts stores open is a. thermostat b. water pump and c. coil packs? possibly wires as well....any thoughts?

OP
OP
B

bschmitt07

Reaction score
to late water pump is done put another new thermostat in and same problem. Im almost thinking about doing a compression test to see about a blown head gasket.

cwatts0721

Reaction score
Hi Brandon, I have a 1998 Ford Expedition with 4.6 V8 engine and I am having exactly the same problems with my heat, temperature gage spiking up and truck starts running like crap... I have searched everywhere to find a solution to the problem and can't seem to get it fixed. I changed thermostat, new radiator cap and had system flushed and it has not helped at all. Did you find a solution? if so could you fill me in and help me out, I don't know what else to try... living in Wisconsin with no heat isn't. fun! any help would be greatly appreciated. my email is [email protected]

thank you,
Charles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni