4 wheel drive selector stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup it was working a week ago then last night went to put in 4 low to pull a drunk idiots van out of the river and nothing happened, no lights no little clicks nothing. I was able to pull him out in the AWD mode and the front did grab so not sure what it is. Hope its simple like a fuse or something.

OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay nice warm evening when it happened.

Yes tried to put into neutral several times and no luck.

Okay new information: I had a check engine light on at the time (P0401 EGR issue of some sort) This issue only happens after prolonged highway speeds (65+MPH for at least 40 minutes) Okay so i cleared the code and the 4x4 selector started working, drove it again the check engine light came on after a period of highway driving for the same P0401 code and the 4x4 stopped working, cleared the code and 4x4 selector working again.

So what ties a P0401 issue to being able to select what part of 4x4 you want? I mean its not what I want but for as often as I would ever use the selector I guess I could just clear the code as needed.

B

bedrck46

For the P0401 I would suggest that you clean the exhaust port thru the throttle body. You will need to remove the throttle body to do this Also you may need to change the DPFE sesnor as well I had that problem on a 99 and did the exhaust ports first and then still had the code reappear and had to change the sensor

OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you all, it was clogged holes on the throttle body. I traded my computer labor (fixed his issues with some viruses he had and such) while he fixed my problem, love swapping expertise for expertise, its like free money.

My little port holes had "whiskers" was plumb sealed shut and the big tube was about 1/2 the diameter it should have been with crud in it. Now all clean, took it for a drive and no light came on.

Again thank you all, it helped me diagnose the issue so i could trade out the work needing done, when your body is shot and the brain works its good to do this since I cant climb into the engine compartment myself.

Next project, getting the AC figured out as to why it dont work, will vacuum it down and see if it leaks off 1st then fill and see what happens.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... it was clogged holes on the throttle body. I traded my computer labor (fixed his issues with some viruses he had and such) while he fixed my problem, love swapping expertise for expertise...

The tech who did the engine work probably appreciated the barter as much as you do.

From each according to his ability. A win-win.

B

bedrck46

Don't be surprised if the light returns if it does I would suspect that the DPFE sensor would need to be replaced

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 4x4 fuse may be out as well its just a thought and my truck has the same code so ill look into that but I'm going to change my tcase out for a 4407 manual shift with my new 5 speed hopefully some time soon

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357