Brown Wire Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be really nice to know if i can take my truck out of a4wd. This would help save on gas a little :)

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first signed up on this site, I remember someone posting a thread about cutting into the wires for the A4WD system to get it to disengage. But from reading that link, the author says that it won't add any added mpg just let's you decide rather than a computer to use only 2 wheels instead of all 4. But cool idea.

OP
OP
M

mgtsldr38

Reaction score
I wanted to do it because its annoying turning the wheel at loc and it acting like its in 4wd, and also it might be a little more fun at the stop lights, haha.

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Def. I understand the want, just was saying I didn't know if it was worth the time to invest simply for the MPG gain.

EXPOX4

Reaction score
Guys it does work but please look at the wiring diagram. The brown wire is to me really kindamof light brown. If you go by the wiring diagram you can use process of elimination. There are only five or so wires so it is easy to identify the last wire. I cut the wrong one first, then I cut the right one. When I knew it was right I taped it up so no moisture would effect it. MPG change???? Not enough to notice. The sluggishness that you feal when you acclerate is gone. Now you can power brake if that would be what you are looking to do. In my case the lifted Expeditions experience vibrations which lead to transfer case failures. That is why I wanted to eliminate the 4AWD. Now it drives alot smoother, even when you are turning in the parking lot, no more front end drag. I like it and in my climate I will never use the 4AWD. The job was easy and BIG thanks to the forum for giving a good wiring diagram.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It can be done. You just need to trace the wire from the transfer case and switch it. Or if you can't trace it run 2 wires to the transfer case and tap in down there. There is a brown wire the strays alone on the transfer case thats the magnetic clutch wire.

jmnt593

Reaction score
So if I just cut the wire I will only have 2wd and not be able to use 4wd hi or low?
If I put a switch in line with the brown wire what do I have to do to get in 4wd hi?
Thanks
Pete

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you cut the brown wire you'll permanetly disable A4WD. 2Hi, 4Hi, 4Low will all be active. A4WD uses a magnetic clutch to engage the front driveshaft where 4x4 uses mechanical means.

If you put a switch inline with the brown wire, you don't need to do anything but turn your dial to 4Hi to get into 4hi. Because its two different systems the brown wire only affects the A4WD aspect. They do it because some vehicles don't have the 2hi option on the dial.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so to rehash this topic since i am thinkin of doing this to my expy, i can cut the brown wire and my truck will be in 2wd but my selector switch will still work for 4h and 4l? just checkin cuz in the explorer forums, they say you will still be in awd...im not lookin for mpg. i didnt buy a full size suv and lift it for mpg. i just dont like awd. i enjoy running in 2wd sometimes when im offroading...makes it harder and you get better rooster tails!