--Best tires--

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AW_3_3

Reaction score
Post your thoughts on the best tires for the expedition. The stock Continental Conti-Trac tires sucked, they lasted only 20,000 miles, were very noisy, and had awful snow traction. Smooth highway ride though. We replaced them with these.

Michelin LTX M/S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S

They have been amazing. The ride is incredibly butter smooth, almost luxury car like. I am very sensetive to little things like that. They have had excellent snow/ice traction, rain, pshhh. Don't even notice it anymore. And yet, it handles very very well, they really grip the road in turns. Highly highly recommended. Have 25,000 miles in them, barely any perceptible wear. Oh, and when rubbed with tire shine, they look brand new.

Last edited:

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2000...

Firestone's (the ones they recalled...'nuf said)

Michelin Cross Terrains...amazing in every way (but price)!

Wanli S-1098...great summer tires, but pricey in size 305/40/22

Definity Dakota A/T...excellent budget A/T tires, perfect in all situations, amazing price, good style, definitely recommend

reg442

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i sell tires for a living and i went with the uniroyal larado cross country's. great ride, quite and comfortable. i live in pittsburgh and even thou my 03 in 4x4 i never had to switch it in.. other tires that i would recommend general grabber hts, and continental cross contact lx ( not the contitrac)
i would have gone with the grabbers but they were not released @ the time that i replaced them.. i also ran 305-40-22 faulken stz04 and 305-35-24 faulken stz04 and thats what ill get for my 26's as well
265-70-17

stef atc

Reaction score
On my expy 06 limited I changed the tires Continental Conti-Trac!

For summer it is Goodyear Fortera TripleTred a bit noise on the highway but man big rain, my tent trailler and a nice coffee! full relax. Last weekend I went off road (sand) and full traction even on a very big cliff!

For the winter it is firestone winterforce! snow, ice, snowbank, highway, curves and still on the track!

I can say nothing have stopped me yet!

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my ride I've had the stock Continental's - they were quiet and lasted about 30,000 miles but traction wasn't that good
bf goodrich all terrain - I bought these used, traction was good, low noise
Nitto Terra Grapplers - they seem to last well, no noise, smooth, and great dry traction, but I think they could do a little better in the rain (it only rains a couple times a year here though so it's not a big deal). Maybe it's just because it's such a big SUV, but none of the tires I've had seem to do extremely well in the rain.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had Firestone Destination LEs, and they were awesome in the rain. Bought them based on reviews on Tirerack about wet traction, the good price, and for the warranty. The only problem was that they lasted no where near 60k miles. Think they were good for 20k before they were at wear bars.

I do have to admit, though, that they were only rotated once. Either way, you have to have recipts of you rotating the tires in order for the warranty to be valid.

Right now, I'm on Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts. They're somewhere in between the stockers and the Firestones. Wet traction is OK. All 4 of these wore primarily on the inside, leaving the outer part of the tire with a good amount of wear. I wonder if I can get them remounted...

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always loved BFG's but love my ProComp Extreme AT's and reg AT's especially in winter weather I'm way up up state NY 30 min from canada

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni