All wheel drive to 2 wheel drive mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
(1999 Expedition All wheel drive)

Are all Expeditions in my mode range All Wheel drive or is there some with the selection of 2 wheel, 4wheel high and low models T-case’s?

I like to play a little in the snow and light the wheels up and kick the rear out from time to time! Lol

Is there any mods I can do to disengage the All Wheel drive and make it have a selection of 2wd only? I don’t mind having to get under it to select or disengage it.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know that my 98 has 2HI, A4HI, 4HI, and 4LO, but I have read that some just have the A4HI, 4HI and 4LO. Is that what you have? If so, I believe it's just auto-4wd, meaning it's 2wd until the rear starts to slip, then the fronts engage with a magnetic clutch (as apposed to the mechanical clutch that is engaged in the manual 4HI and 4LO positions).

With that I have seen posts about a brown wire mod, to basically either cut the wire, or instal a toggle so that the magnetic clutch can't engage.

If it's true full-time AWD, I don;t know how to help you there.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought the a4hi was considered all wheel drive, my mistake. But yes that is what I got. A4hi. Do you know anyone or have information on the brown wire mod? Im lost when it comes to the Ford stuff, its all new to me. Have you heard of any bad results from doing this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man this is great! So cut the brown and leave it. If I want to use the all wheel run a switch which will add the option of A4hi. It seems too easy to be true. Are you guys sure doing this will not cause any other issues with the tcase or the computer controlling it.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2HI option on mine, so I have no idea what it does. I am just parrotting what I've read.

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the brown wire mod to my 1999 explorer SOHC V6 with no issues whatsoever. I extended the wires to a switch so essentially I had 2WD, A4WD, 4WD and 4WD LO. I never really thought about what would happen if you left it disconnected and went into 4WD LO however, 2WD LO?

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in no way fluent with these trucks, but as I have read online, the AUTO option is a magnetic clutch, and the 4HI and 4LO is a mechanical clutch. The brown wire "enables" the magnetic one, so this mod will only effect the A4WD setting.

At least thats how I understood it.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I am in no way fluent with these trucks, but as I have read online, the AUTO option is a magnetic clutch, and the 4HI and 4LO is a mechanical clutch. The brown wire "enables" the magnetic one, so this mod will only effect the A4WD setting.

At least thats how I understood it.

this is wright to a T