Oil filter Mounting Gasket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul S

Reaction score
I noticed a small leak near the oil filter and was told it the Oil Filter Mounting Gasket. The part is readily available, but has anyone ever done this job? I was told I had to drain the oil and the coolant. No biggie. I was wondering if there were any little surprises in store for me once I get under the truck?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks......Paul Schabner

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I'll check my manual when I get home.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
might be a little late, but dont you just need to pop off the filter and put in a new one? (ensuring the old filter gasket is off as well)

if I didnt understand what you mean (and to the uninformed as well), pls update your thread

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Did they mean the oil filter mount gasket? Are they are saying that it's not the filter leaking but the mount itself? I can't remember if the 4.6 has the filter mounted remotely like the 5.4 does.

Reaction score
Whats all this talk about draining the coolant? WTF are they smoking? I want some too! Anyway... the oil filter mounting gasket comes WITH the filter! duh!

OP
OP
P

Paul S

Reaction score
In actuallity the oil filter mounts to a piece that is separate from the engine block. It is held onto the bottom of the block by 2 bolts and sealed with a gasket. There is alot of heat that goes through this part and its gasket. It is this gasket that has a small leak, not the oil filter itself. I am concerned if this is a common problem with the 4.6, and if anyone else has had this part fail. I have tried to look it up in the shop manuals but I don't see any reference to this part.

The problem is not with the oil filter but to the part that the oil filter mounts onto.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, finally found my manual CD.

The closest thing I can find that mentions a gasket for the oil filter mounting thing is in the instructions to remove the oil filter adaptor.

The instructions are different for a 4x2 and a 4x4. The 4x4 one seems simpler, since it only involves removing the front drive shaft, the lower radiator hose, and taking 4 bolts off of the oil filter adaptor. The 4x2 one involves removing the LH engine mount, and involves an engine hoist. :eek:

I can post instructions for either one. Again, sorry for the delay in replying.

Last edited:

ktrjones12

Reaction score
There is nothing on the door plaque that says R70 or R100 anything, and both are in the owner's manual Ford Aerostar Oil Filter Gaskets capacities listing. The VIN decode doesn't specify trans, as best i recall. I suppose I will need to get under it first - the type of ATF is different between the two, so I can't even shop first for the ATF, let alone filter and gasket! Oh Well!