Rough Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

ajspellm

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the help. I asked the guy at the auto store and he said it probably wasnt that hose but I was thinking it probably was. Its weird it started acting up when it got cold though. It was fine before it got really cold.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the help. I asked the guy at the auto store and he said it probably wasnt that hose but I was thinking it probably was. Its weird it started acting up when it got cold though. It was fine before it got really cold.

Yeah, mine really started acting up when it got cold too. It actually got to the point that my CEL came on. I noticed it a few weeks ago that it was idling rough, but once the weather dropped below -20C it got so rough it would actually stall. Just check it... The "auto store" guy ain't gonna climb up under your hood and look for a leak. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But if I'm right you'll be very happy because it's then a $36 fix instead of a $500+ bill from your local stealership.

BTW the mechanic at the dealership isn't going to look for vacuum leaks. They are going to say you are running lean, or need an IAC because that's what their computer says. Until you look for yourself, you will just be replacing sensor after sensor, and still be idling rough.

But like I said, I could be wrong too. Just do me a favor and check before you go back to a shop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ajspellm

Reaction score
Ya i dont think he really had an idea of what it was. I am sure thats what it is. It has to be according to what you described with your problem. I will have to check it out tomorrow after work. I emailed a dealer about the part and I hope I can get it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help

OP
OP
A

ajspellm

Reaction score
I went and got the part and installed it today. Seems that it is running better but will have to test in it in colder weather one morning. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
A

ajspellm

Reaction score
Well got that new piece installed and it is doing the same thing again. It seemed better but now the check engine light came on again. Not sure what I should look at now? Any ideas?

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well got that new piece installed and it is doing the same thing again. It seemed better but now the check engine light came on again. Not sure what I should look at now? Any ideas?
Get the fault code. Sometimes when you correct one thingand then the underlying cause shows up. If the same code as before comes up you can see if there might be more than one possible cause. These can be a a pain but you have to take them one step at a time. I had a problem that took six months to finally throw a code. It sure felt good to correct it.

Last edited:

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Were you able to get the codes yet? Did you actually have the vacuum leak , or did you just replace the hose hoping it would help? Give us an update we'd like to hear your progress.

OP
OP
A

ajspellm

Reaction score
Well I have a update. I replaced the hose and elbow and it seemed to be better but then the next day the check engine light came on again. I took it into the dealer because I went on a 1500 mile round trip vacation and didnt want to break down during the drive. They replaced a different vacuum hose supposedly and said it was the one I had just replaced and said they put a bigger hose on. Driving home from the trip we were having a problem with the throttle sticking on the interstate and it getting stuck going 75 miles an hour. It seemed that when we let it sit for a little while it would quit doing it but it got pretty bad. Took it to the shop when we got back and they said it is a common problem in the expeditions for the throttle body to get dirty and stick when it is really cold. So they cleaned the throttle body for free and the next day I noticed it was idling really rough again. This was a few days ago and now today the check engine light popped on again so I called the shop I took it to and they said they are going to look at it again. I am going to take it into them Saturday and hopefully they can come up with a solution to it. Yesterday it was idling so low I couldnt believe it didnt shut down. It was down to around 400 rpm at red lights. I will give you guys a update once I get it back from the shop.