Towing Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5.4 Shelby

Reaction score
How do you know if you have the towing package? Door sticker? does the radiator look different?

Door sticker says ( I think) 7700 lbs. GVRW. The towing package is supposed to be over 9000, right?

i looked and don't see a tranny or oil cooler. Should if be obvious?

Edit: Looking at a 2008 Expy Limited.

Last edited:
OP
OP

5.4 Shelby

Reaction score
Thank you Franklie. Appreciate the help.

I am about to buy a 2008 Limited. The dealer says it has the towing package. I don't see a separate oil cooler. It could be intergrated in the main radiator, but, I can't tell. That is why I started this post. I was hoping someone could say whether or not I should see a difference or could tell from the door sticker or maybe some other way.

If it does not come with it, does adding a tranny/oil cooler bring it up to the 9000lb towing capacity?

I am planning to occasionally tow my '08 Mustang in an enclosed trailer. With the car weighing nearly 3900lb dry, I am afraid I would be pushing the limit.

chevy24d

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you Franklie. Appreciate the help.

I am about to buy a 2008 Limited. The dealer says it has the towing package. I don't see a separate oil cooler. It could be intergrated in the main radiator, but, I can't tell. That is why I started this post. I was hoping someone could say whether or not I should see a difference or could tell from the door sticker or maybe some other way.

If it does not come with it, does adding a tranny/oil cooler bring it up to the 9000lb towing capacity?

I am planning to occasionally tow my '08 Mustang in an enclosed trailer. With the car weighing nearly 3900lb dry, I am afraid I would be pushing the limit.
I posted this on fte for you. Search my user-name and there is a ton of info on trailer packages.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/2008_default.asp

OP
OP

5.4 Shelby

Reaction score
I posted this on fte for you. Search my user-name and there is a ton of info on trailer packages.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/2008_default.asp

Thanx 24. I didnt quite get the answer on here so i searched for and found FTE. My how to identify has been answered on there. If it has the HD tow pkg, it has the 7 pin connector on the right side of the hitch. I plan to go to dealer in the next day or 2 to check that.

My question about "can it be upgraded?" has not been answered. So far it seems like I would have to replace the entire radiator and add the 7 pin connector. But I don't know if that will bring me up to 9200.

I will search for you on FTE.

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the 2000, I believe it's the same as my 99, look for a separate trans cooler and air suspension in the rear if it's a 4x2.

AndyGJ

Reaction score
How do you know if you have the towing package? Door sticker? does the radiator look different?

Door sticker says ( I think) 7700 lbs. GVRW. The towing package is supposed to be over 9000, right?

i looked and don't see a tranny or oil cooler. Should if be obvious?

Edit: Looking at a 2008 Expy Limited.

Let me guess...that 5.4 is an 08 Shelby.

Are you on the Team Shelby forum?

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming you're referring to the heave duty towing package, the 7 pin connector along with the 4 pin flat connector next to the hitch is a dead giveaway, the HD pkg comes with both, the standard towing only comes with the 4 pin. Of course, the HD pkg has the above mentioned items as well, but it's very easy to look at the back to see if the round connector is there.