Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom018

Reaction score
I have been having a little hesitation and wanted to change the fuel filter to see if that was the casue. I bought the filter for my 05 EXp and climbed under it all ready to do this simple in line fuel filter change, but I cant find it.

Anyone give me an idea where the 05 fuel filter is located, beside under the vehicle and somewhere on the fuel line. LOL:D

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driver's side right in front of the gas tank (right behind driver's door). There will be a cover with 2 bolts (or nuts) that needs to be removed. You'll see the fuel lines running under the cover, and the filter is under that. You will most likely need a FF removal tool to get the filter off, as I needed one on my '06.

OP
OP
T

Tom018

Reaction score
Thanks I will give it a shot. Do I have to depreassurize the fuel line or anything?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take the filler cap off, and it's not a bad idea to disconnect the neg cable from the battery to be safe.

Makdaddy

Reaction score
Make sure you have the correct filter
My wife had the local oil change place replace the filter on our 04
We were on our way to indy Saturday when we hit a pothole and the truck died
Yep the line came off the damn filter.
To make it worse the shop either put the wrong filter on or they jacked up the hose connector. everytime I put it back on it was loose and would or could pop off
Had to have it towed to the shop at closing time.
We will find out Monday what all happened.

I was not a happy camper

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's where it is on an 03. Mine is just a cover you pull on, no bolts. I didn't need a tool to remove my filter, just pushed in with finger tips, though it may be different on yours.

http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=2994&highlight=fuel+filter

Make sure you clip it all the way in. Not a pretty site when you turn the truck on, and you hearing the splashing of gas as it leaks out the connector. Should of known something was up when the Expy took more than 2 seconds to start...

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are just green clips you push in with your fingers to release, but I've heard of others needing the fuel line connector removers sold at auto parts stores. They're pretty cheap.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, they are pretty cheap but they also break easy so be careful when using them. the tool is only a few bucks and it comes with 2 sizes so you should be good. at least this is how its done on my generation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01