another keyless entry thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01expedition

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can possibly help with my keyless entry (door pad) problem. I found the code to use under dash but when I press any buttons on the keypad nothing lights up at all. is there a fuse to it that could be blown? or bad key pad? when I got it a week and a half ago I only got one key with it and no remote fobs. so I have 2 more keys and 2 remotes coming next week. from my understanding to get the second key programmed I have to take it to my local ford dealer since this is PATS2 and 2 keys are needed to program any extras. also do I need a working remote to program those? I don't think I do do but I just got this and mainly worked with chevy stuff before. Thanks in advance for any help/testing advice given.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as for the key pad not lighting up mine had the same problem... i changed out the "RAP" little box with numbers under dash, and everything then worked... turned out my RAP died so when I replaced it everything works....

For Key you need two programmed keys to make a 3rd... so trip to dealer will fix that

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the looks of it, you don't need the old remotes to program the new ones in. Just follow the procedures listed in the manual.

OP
OP

01expedition

Reaction score
when you change out the rap module does it use the old code or the one on the replaced module? I would assume the one on the replaced module but figured I would ask. also does it need to be programmed or just replaced? Thanks

Last edited:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one I used i pulled out of a 98 taurus (my mothers when she traded in during cash for clunkers) it was 2 bolts that held them on then two plugs match them up and mine worked... yes it uses whatever code is on the RAP currently installed. There are other fords that have exchangeable RAPs so if you need one go to junk yard with your rap and match them up

OP
OP

01expedition

Reaction score
does it have to come from the same year? (i.e. is your expedition a 98?) I would think so but you have already done it and it works so I would rather take your advice than trial and error. Thanks in advance for the answer.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no mine is a 99 and donor was 98... i just looked at both RAPs and compared them and swapped them out and it worked for me.... if you can take a look at yours and compare it to a new one at a junk yard... as i said mine came out of a taurus so there are other fords that have the same RAP....

OP
OP

01expedition

Reaction score
I think it is more than likely the rap module I tried to program the remote cycled the ignition from off to on 8 times in 10 seconds and couldn't get the doors to lock to show it was in programming mode. sounds like it is probably the keyless entry module to me so I will have to get the current box out and look for another one.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exactly the same problem mine had... no power to key pad... couldn't do the program with key on off.... IMO 99.9% that it is the RAP... if you can take yours out like a 2 min job and go to a junk yard and match it up.... like I said I know the 98 taurus swapped with mine

OP
OP

01expedition

Reaction score
I'm just glad it is in a better spot than the explorers don't have to take anything out other than the box as far as I can tell. The explorers the whole back panel has to come off as well. I'm glad I will have something to do this weekend. Thanks for the help so far Walnuts I will let you know if I have it finished. Will the vehicle still drive with the module removed I think so but not positive and don't want to fry anything.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketravis