Squeaky Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my bushings are squeaky squeky on my 98 eb and it's driving me crazy. i hate mechanics so i've learned to do alot of my own work. anyone know how hard it is to change bushings? Any info is greatly appreciated

98_XLT

Reaction score
Where abouts is it coming from?

I have a bad 'creak' on my 98 but I think I have narrowed it down to the Pitman arm or the Idler arm.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if its the bushings in the shocks, they arent too hard to do. just unbolt the shocks, use a vice to push out the old bushings and insert the new ones. just about that simple. bushings are pretty cheap

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you still the factory ball joints and tie rods and such they dont have grease zerks and get dry over time and squeak when you turn or hit speed bumps... i got a grease needle for my grase gun $3 that allows me to grease the joints and solved my squeaking front end

OP
OP
M

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know its the front end, i've even laid under it and pushed it up and down to try to pinpoint it but i still can't call it. i had the control arms changed in 05 but the bushings look pretty dry and the ball joint at the end of the control arm is all tore up. i was looking at the energy suspension kit, $100. what do you guys think? are they hard to change?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have the energy suspension control arm bushings on my 97 the handleing difference was night and day.... it took me about 6 hours to install them

OP
OP
M

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that sounds great! i'm gonna get them this week. we're supposed to be hitting 60's this week. i can do it on the weekend. any pointers? how did you manage to remove the old bushings and install the new ones. do i need any special tools?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the most time consuming for was getting the torsion bars out, 13 years of grit took its toll... i have a ball joint/ u-joint service tool with the master adapter set. both kits are about $100 at harbor freight... thats what i used to press the bushings in and out. or you can pull the control arms off and have a shop press the bushings for you... the night before i would spray all the nuts and bolts with a good penetrating oil. too load and unload the torsion keys i use a 2 jaw puller... hope this helps you out