Power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwshakey

Reaction score
2006 Expedition XLT
5.4 3V Triton

I have tried searching for this same problems and have found some similar issues, but have tried the fixes. I am hoping someone will throw an idea that might work.

The EXPO needed plugs change so I changed them with some struggles, but finished and cleared misfire issues. After that still ran sluggish and eventually threw a lean code on bank 1 which came after 1 day. Then I changed the fuel filter and relieved fuel pressure by pulling pump fuse. No luck so far. I swapped all plugs and coils from one side of engine to the other with no luck.
Listened with stethoscope and can hear diode clicking consistently in fuel injector(not sure if it could still be dirty or not).

I have read it could be vacuum leak, but cannot find one. I have also read it could be CAT but there was no issue with that before I started. The only other thing I could think is head gasket....(hope not). . Also I have cleared the computer after each thing I have done.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

SYMPTOMS:
  • Power loss up hills.
  • Acceleration loss
  • Highway speed bottoms out at 45 mph or so.
  • jumpy while idling in Drive

What I have done:
  • Cleaned mass air flow sensor
  • Changed plugs (which cylinder 8 plug broke...that was fun)
  • replace coil boots.
  • changed fuel filter
  • ran fuel cleaner through fuel system
  • Swaped plugs and coils from one side of the engine to the other
troubleshooting engine codes.)

ENGINE CODES I HAVE RECEIVED:
RIGHT NOW NO CODES ARE FOUND BUT SOMETHING STILL WRONG
  • Other cylinder misfires which cleared during plug change
  • bank 1 to lean ( most consistent)
  • bank 2 to rich
  • cylinder 6 misfire

PICT0418.jpg

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 things instantly come to mind excluding what you already did. Clogged Catalytic converter, bad O2 sensors, and a vacuum leak (even though you looked for one, they can be hard to trace). IF it was a head gasket, you would most likely be able to tell from the smoke out the tailpipe, and a milkshake color of the oil.
How many miles do you have on the Expy? Did you make sure the plugs were properly gapped? Did you get new coil packs, or just reinstall the old ones?

OP
OP
C

cwshakey

Reaction score
No smoke from tailpipe and oil looked fine I just changed it, so I guess head gasket is out. The Expo has 70,000 miles. one coil pack I replace the rest of them I just reused with new boots. Also when I went to change them I guess some water shot up in there because Before I could do any work I had to blow about a spoonful of water from each plug port.

This is the plug I used the two piece motorcraft pre gapped.
sp507-fro.jpg

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you have any intake upgrades? i seen this exact problem on a mercury cougar with the 2.5 V6, it turned out to be the plenum (upper intake) gasket it was leaking on bank 2, which showed bank 2 lean and bank 1 rich, when this happens the unmetered air can only go to the bank that is leaking giving you this condition. to pinpoint the leak we used starting fluid and sprayed around the gasket while it was ideling

OP
OP
C

cwshakey

Reaction score
I will have to try spraying the starter fluid to try and pinpoint a vacuum leak good tip thanks. Got to go to work now so I will hunt for it later......I need more time lol

OP
OP
C

cwshakey

Reaction score
NO luck.. I have checked carefully with starter fluid for a vacuum leak and have found nothing.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may want to pull the coil packs and let them air out. If you had that much water in the plug holes, it is very likely that there is water in the Coils that is fouling the spark. Or the water could have ruined them...??

OP
OP
C

cwshakey

Reaction score
Yea I guess the coil packs are gonna get replaced. Even if that does not end up being the issue because of the water it sure can't hurt.....But there will be a big smile if it works. I have a few I was going to choose from any suggestions?

BWD - Ignition Coil 42.99 each orielly's

ACCEL 140033-8 - ACCEL Super Coils from SUMMIT RACING 269.95 for 8

Could also go motorcraft or MSD but they are more expensive...not sure it worth the extra money.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure about which coil packs are best on the Expy's, but for Lightnings, the OEM Motorcrafts were the best...even on modified engines. There have been a few companies like Weapon X coils that people say are better for the HIGH hp guys, but I do not know if they would help here and they are pretty expensive.
I replaced my bad one on my '06 with a BWD from Advance Auto, and it seems to be working just fine.

OP
OP
C

cwshakey

Reaction score
Well...ended up one CAT was 95% blocked and the other was around 75% blocked.......Also I replaced the upstream o2 sensors and now......finally it is running perfect again........I guess it should since I have replaced everything...lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni