Clunking Sound from front drivers side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm stumped. I am getting a clunking noise coming from drivers side. I've changed the tie rods, the cv axle, and the wheel hub twice! Still clunking. It does do it all the time, but once I hit a bump, then the clunking starts.

The clunking stops when I get over 30mph. I've put the vehicle in neutral and let the vehicle coast - still clunks.

Also, when I turn on 4x4, the clunking stops BUT the vehicle pulls super hard to the right. So I have no idea.

Earlier today, I jacked up the front of my vehicle, placed it in neutral and spun both wheels by hand. The right wheel turns perfectly fine. The left wheel has some sort of resistance. I checked the u joints.

I got under the vehicle while the wheels were on the ground and the left axle has some sort of play In it. If I grab it by hand and attempt to spin, it actually moves like a 1/2 inch both ways. The right side has no play at all.

Anyone help me out? Oh when going highway speeds, no sounds are heard. Idk what's wrong.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe the bearings. could be goin out and need to be replaced. also, if you have the weights on the inside of the rim and not the outside, one might be bent and rubbing. but i guess that would be more of a clicking.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it also happen on turns? The only clunk I am aware of is the dreaded lower control arm clunk associated with the camber bolt that afflicts the older F150's (1997-2003). There is an elongated hole that has the round camber bolt going through it. At full lock, it would "clunk" when the bolt slightly shifted in the hole. There are shops that sell "Clunk Washers" that fix the slop in the adjustment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. I just replaced the hub twice in last month to be sure.

It doesn't happen when turning, it initially starts when I hit a bump. But continues until I stop the truck for a while. Then once I get back in, the clunking is non existent until I hit a bump again.

Such a weird situation

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Bushings wouldn't cause hesitation/resistence when turning the wheel while its jacked up lol

I think it has something to do with the diff.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score

This is where I attempt to turn the axle. It moves liek 1/2 inch both ways. Not sure if its supposed to do that. Any one know?

I dont see anything but an axle shaft and retainer clip. So --- the clunking must be the differential?

I'm not understanding why It would only have resistance on the LH side and not the right....if the gears were messed up - why would I only hear and feel it on the left?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ok so I finally found out the issue with my truck....kinda sorta.

I think the truck is attempting to switchin into 4x4 like constantly.

I removed fuse 104 to disable the 4x4 clutch, and VOILA! NO clunking what so ever....obviously 4x4 is disabled now. But I have no idea what it would be this way.

Starting to love my truck again.