Expedition won't go over 30 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I recently used the four wheel drive to get out of out garage because of snow. I put it in neutral with my foot on the brake and put it in 4wd high. Once i got it out i turned it back off in neutral with my foot on the brake. That night it did drive over 60 mph but 1 week later it won't go over 30 mph. Whats the problem with it? Its a 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 and AWD. Please Help right away. Thank You. It has 95,000 miles and has been treated very nice.

Fred69

Reaction score
What is the rpm @ 30 MPH? if it is sky high 2 things come to mind. #1 it is stuck in 4lo,, #2 trans prob.

OP
OP
G

I don't think that it is stuck in 4lo because between the time this happened and the time it wouldn't go over 30, we actually had it on the highway doing 65 mph.

Fred69

Reaction score
Based on the e-mail I just got there are a zillion possibilities. Some may seem too obvious.. Parking brake stuck, water in the gas, clogged fuel filter, did you fillup w/gas in the interim? bad gas, computer went south for the winter. Try shifting manually from 1st- 2nd- D -od see if that makes any difference.

Fred69

Reaction score
Oop's forgot 1 floor mat pushed up under the gas pedal.. I actuallly had this happen to me in my S-crew last summer... Boy o boy did I feel stupid the next morning.......when I looked in the daylight. Dooooh!!!!

OP
OP
G

is the transmission shifting? does it accelerate like hell up to 30, while shifting rapidly, then not go any faster? does it have any power at all up to 30?