2006 expedition A/C problems and dealership runaround

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exodus125

Reaction score
First post here!

I have a 2006 ford expedition XLT.

Ever since we got it, we have had AC related problems. With only a few thousand miles, water would leak from the passengers side, somewhere in the bottom and your legs would get all wet if you were sitting on that side. Took it once to th dealership and they couldn't find a problem. The next time it happened they said something about it having a clogged hose or something and they replaced something and the water dripping stopped.

Around the same time, my wife first noticed the ac would not cool as good as it once did. We also noticed the car would make a weird nose every time you started it, like when you turn the ignition in a car and didn't release it and the starter makes a rasping noise. After a while I finally had to admit, the ac did not cool as well as it did before. We also noticed a hissing noise like the compressor kicking on an off every few seconds.

When we took it to the dealership, they could not find any problems. We had to take it to the dealership about 6 different times because they said they couldn't reproduce the noise. Finally they heard the noise, but said it was normal and thats the noise the compressor makes. Also, about the hissing on off compressor,t hey said it was normal too.

This was about 6 or 7k miles before the warranty expired on the car.

Now we are out of warranty, and guess whats not working? Thats right, the AC. We turned it on one day and it just did not blow any cold air. We took it to our mechanic who filled it with a dye and the compressor is leaking. He also informed us that that hissing on/ off sound was the compressor kicking on an off and they do that when they are running low on freon, and if they are running low on freon its because its got a leak.

So what I am thinking, is that the dealership knew there was a problem, a costly problem, and decided to wait it out to see if the car held up until the warranty expired.

I love to buy American cars and support America, but seriously, a 2006 car with 50k miles with a broken AC? I have a 96 Corolla that the only thing I have ever had to replace is the battery. The runaround we get from the dealership every time we take it in is incredible. Last ford I will ever buy.

Sorry for my venting, but I'm upset.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or tips on this problem.

How have you guys been treated at the dealership with warranty related issues?

EDIT: oh, and dont get me started about the paint flaking off the trim after just 1 year. Thats FORD quality.

Last edited:

Paul S

Reaction score
I suggest you get hold of a Service Manager and explain everything you have done. He should make it all good for you. They should have all of the paperwork.

Failing this, start sending nasty letters to Dearborn. Don't try to push this load uphill, start at the top and let the load of @#$% come down hill.

You will have to fight all the way, Ford will deny any problem, but be nice and be persistant.

You did what you were supposed to do, if the dealer cheated you let Ford know, at every level. Don't give in until you get what you want or what you think is fair.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The only flaw in that theory is thinking that the dealer didn't want to do the work. In truth, dealers don't mind warranty work at all, especially when things are slow. It's easy money that comes straight from Ford.
It sometimes isn't easy for the service dept to get approval from Ford to do the repair under warranty though, especially if they can't 100% prove that a certain part is defective. Your compressor may have been passable (even just barely) and Ford wouldn't have covered it.

Another loophole with getting things covered is that you must make a very specific complaint. This is where it pays to read the TSBs before you see the dealer.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only flaw in that theory is thinking that the dealer didn't want to do the work. In truth, dealers don't mind warranty work at all, especially when things are slow. It's easy money that comes straight from Ford.
It sometimes isn't easy for the service dept to get approval from Ford to do the repair under warranty though, especially if they can't 100% prove that a certain part is defective. Your compressor may have been passable (even just barely) and Ford wouldn't have covered it.

Another loophole with getting things covered is that you must make a very specific complaint. This is where it pays to read the TSBs before you see the dealer.

Couldn't agree more.

Paul S

Reaction score
Down here in South Florida the dealers will not even speak to you about the problem. They want to get the commisions from selling oil changes, alignments and routine services.

If you have a specific problem it has to go to the "self Diagnostic" stage before anything is done. A typical scenario will be that you have taken it in and explained the problem numerous times, but the dealer can't find anything wrong. The "self diagnostic" stage is when the questioned parts fail completely and you can say "here is the problem."

With most independent shops you have little to no recourse. With the dealer you can show you have tried to have the problem fixed but to no avail. Now that the part is broken you should have little problem getting the malady repaired.

The customer in the aforemention A/C problem has done this. Ford didn't help then. Ford will help if the customer is persistant. You will no doubt have to pay the amount and then you have to fight to get a refund.

This is what we did when Ford denied the seal were bad on an F-150 Transmission. When it finallly went all the way bad and we had it towed in
The charge was $1600.00, we were 1500 miles out of warrenty. WE got hold of everyone and no one budged. Wrote the letters to Ford HQ, now we had people calling. They refunded 1/2 of the charge. We could have gotten more but I was tired of fighting with the woman on the phone.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sucks to hear about your ac. That raspy sound is one that I had also when I bought it and they gave me this special service number and said it was common. I have not had the leaking problem but I will post the service thing here and maybe you will be able to use it as ammunition (i put it on another forum to get some answers a while ago). Hope it helps some, Mike.

"mine is an 06 and the dealer actually printed out the TSB for it (will try and find the work order) - short answer is that it is normal. It goes into an explanation of it also, but can't remember what it was. Mine almost sounds like a grind or something engaging - kind of like enagaging a PTO. I have started shutting the ac off when I first start it just because I do not like the sound, it seems to keep it from happening. Thanks, Mike"

Found it - not a TSB. It is a OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE NUMBER 19311

"

19311 2003-2006 EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR - MINIMIZE GRUNT/POP NOISE BY TURNING A/C TO VENT BEFORE EXITING THE VEHICLE - DO NOT
REPLACE COMPONENTS
SOME VEHICLES WITH AIR CONDITIONING UTILIZING R-134A MAY EXHIBIT A MOMENTARY GRUNT/POP AFTER BEING PARKED FOR SOME TIME &
THE COMPRESSOR IS ENGAGED BEFORE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT HAS WARMED UP. THIS IS DUE TO LIQUID R134A BEING PUMPED OUT
OF THE COMPRESSOR. R134A WILL TRAVEL TO THE COOLEST POINT (THE COMPRESSOR) ONCE THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, DUE TO THE
DIFFERENCE IN TEMP BETWEEN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT & THE VEHICLE INTERIOR. WHILE MANY VEHICLES HAVE PCM STRATEGIES THAT
ADDRESS THIS BY REPEATEDLY CYCLING THE COMPRESSOR ON START- UP, THIS MAY NOT TOTALLY ELIMINATE IT. REPLACING A/C
COMPONENTS WILL NOT ELIMINATE THIS. COMPONENT DURABILITY IS NOT AFFECTED. MINIMIZE THE NOISE BY TURNING THE A/C SYSTEM TO
VENT BEFORE EXITING, & IN MILD AMBIENT TEMPS (APPROX. 50-75F) WAITING A FEW MINUTES BEFORE TURNING ON THE A/C OR DEFROST."

from http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/bo...expedition.pdf

Hope this is allowed because I sited the source - my actual source was in print though.

Thanks, Mike

OP
OP
E

exodus125

Reaction score
update:

dealership will not do SQUAT. I called Ford customer service and they too said nothing can be done. Last ford I will ever buy.

Condog09

Reaction score
First post here!

I have a 2006 ford expedition XLT.

Ever since we got it, we have had AC related problems. With only a few thousand miles, water would leak from the passengers side, somewhere in the bottom and your legs would get all wet if you were sitting on that side. Took it once to th dealership and they couldn't find a problem. The next time it happened they said something about it having a clogged hose or something and they replaced something and the water dripping stopped.

Around the same time, my wife first noticed the ac would not cool as good as it once did. We also noticed the car would make a weird nose every time you started it, like when you turn the ignition in a car and didn't release it and the starter makes a rasping noise. After a while I finally had to admit, the ac did not cool as well as it did before. We also noticed a hissing noise like the compressor kicking on an off every few seconds.

When we took it to the dealership, they could not find any problems. We had to take it to the dealership about 6 different times because they said they couldn't reproduce the noise. Finally they heard the noise, but said it was normal and thats the noise the compressor makes. Also, about the hissing on off compressor,t hey said it was normal too.

This was about 6 or 7k miles before the warranty expired on the car.

Now we are out of warranty, and guess whats not working? Thats right, the AC. We turned it on one day and it just did not blow any cold air. We took it to our mechanic who filled it with a dye and the compressor is leaking. He also informed us that that hissing on/ off sound was the compressor kicking on an off and they do that when they are running low on freon, and if they are running low on freon its because its got a leak.

So what I am thinking, is that the dealership knew there was a problem, a costly problem, and decided to wait it out to see if the car held up until the warranty expired.

I love to buy American cars and support America, but seriously, a 2006 car with 50k miles with a broken AC? I have a 96 Corolla that the only thing I have ever had to replace is the battery. The runaround we get from the dealership every time we take it in is incredible. Last ford I will ever buy.

Sorry for my venting, but I'm upset.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or tips on this problem.

How have you guys been treated at the dealership with warranty related issues?

EDIT: oh, and dont get me started about the paint flaking off the trim after just 1 year. Thats FORD quality.

I am not 100% sure what type of system fords have but if it is an F.O.T. type system (Fixed Orficice Tube) when your compressor cycles on and off rapidly it could be caused by a clogged FOT. Also if the compressor cycles on and off with the off time being a couple more seconds then the on time, this will indicate that the system is undercharged which is cause by low refrigerant, oh and btw freon is not what is in your system, freon is a brand name, it is refridgerant that is in the system FYI. Also another issue you could be having is if your compressor is constantly running, it is an internal leak at the compressor or the orfice tube is MISSING! But double check your system and hope this information helps you. Let me know what you find out. Thanks!

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my .02

update:

dealership will not do SQUAT. I called Ford customer service and they too said nothing can be done. Last ford I will ever buy.

the sad thing is a/c repair under warranty is the hardest and most frustrating system to get approval on from any manufactuer. gm. toyota. kenworth. volvo i all have experiance with and there no different. so dont judge ford on this when more than likly the dealer is trying to cover a mistake they did or a bad system components

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure what type of system fords have but if it is an F.O.T. type system (Fixed Orficice Tube) when your compressor cycles on and off rapidly it could be caused by a clogged FOT. Also if the compressor cycles on and off with the off time being a couple more seconds then the on time, this will indicate that the system is undercharged which is cause by low refrigerant, oh and btw freon is not what is in your system, freon is a brand name, it is refridgerant that is in the system FYI. Also another issue you could be having is if your compressor is constantly running, it is an internal leak at the compressor or the orfice tube is MISSING! But double check your system and hope this information helps you. Let me know what you find out. Thanks!

i agree with alot of your post except if the compressor is running constantly with low cooling it is more likly a system over charge. R134A is not as nearly forgiving as R12 when it comes to system contamination and over charging... ford does use a fixed orifice tube