Cleaning injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PartTimer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used an injector cleaner, not the kind you pour in either. I do my Pontiac by disconnecting a vacuum line which sucks the cleaner in and you shut the car off and let it sit. You start it about 20 minutes later and it blows all the crap out. Anyone do this with the expedition?

G

Any new information about this? I had a mechanic suggest a fuel injector cleaning which he wanted $60 for. I don't doubt he'll just pour some STP cleaner in the tank. I wonder if there is a way I could do this myself or if just running several cleaners through the fuel system is sufficient. I never got a straight answer either way with the people I've talked to about it.

G

Id like to know the same. Dealer wanted $285.00 to clean fuel injectors and due a throttle body cleaning. I dont have any clue about either and hubby is some-what knowledgable on the subject but doesnt have alot of experience doing either and doesn't want to 'screw' anything up. So any info and tips ya'll find out would be appreciated

G

There is a injector cleaner that is not a simple pour in. I use it on my vehicles and it is NOT a simple process.

Napa and some others carry this cleaner. It requires a hose kit to hook up to the fuel rail. You have to pinch off the return fuel line, disconnect the fuel pump (via fuse) and the engine runs off this mixture. When pressure drops in can, the engine will die. There is the "jist" of the procedure.

The last time I used the cleaner was on my 90 f150 w/ 302. After using the cleaner, the engine would run on a fuel pressure about 10 pounds less. It is well worth it.

Ask each, the mechanic, the dealer, or where you have the oil changed if this is the procedure they use.

1999xlt

Reaction score
The kit that is sold by NAPA is a 3M kit:
3M Cleaner

They say you need to use one of their adapter kits:Adapter Kit At a cost of $449.00
I don't see why you just can't pull a line and stick it in the can though............

Or you could just use SeaFoam

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PartTimer

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything new. You can make a homemade rig, like I did for my GTP. This is what it looks like for mine:
whole_kit.JPG

This unit threaded onto the schreaver port on the fuel rail and you ran off th can. I haven't played much with the expedition since I started porting my GTP heads.

G

There are two parts to cleaning a fuel system. If you suck the product in through a vacuum line you are not cleaning the injectors. All you are doing is removing carbon from the valves and pistons...which is a good thing. To clean the injectors you either need to pour the cleaner in the tank or you have to have a tool to put the cleaner in through the fuel rail. You also need to clean the throttle body which gets pretty dirty over a preiod of time. Ford makes a foamy cleaner that works great for cleaning throttle bodies. Do Not use regular carburetor cleaner to clean a throttle body. You will mess up the bushings in the throttle body and then it will need to be replaced. In my opinion B.G. make the best fuel service on the market. It has everything that is needed to get the entire system clean.

OP
OP
P

PartTimer

Reaction score
The picture you see is a device that connects to the fuel rails and cleans the injectors. There is a injector cleaning system on EBAY for about $300 right now. It is the same kind that hooks into the fuel rails.

G

Yes, it appears like it attaches to the fuel rails. Just a word of caution. Injector technology has come a long way over the past 10 years. I would add a container of Chevron injector cleaner to my tank when it is about 1/4 full and run it until it is close to running out and then add a bottle to a full tank and run it out. Injectors really don't get dirty anymore like they used to. Just good ole routine maintenence, fuel filter replacement, and a bottle of good cleaner once a month and you should be fine.

OP
OP
P

PartTimer

Reaction score
Originally posted by boxerdawgs
Yes, it appears like it attaches to the fuel rails. Just a word of caution. Injector technology has come a long way over the past 10 years. I would add a container of Chevron injector cleaner to my tank when it is about 1/4 full and run it until it is close to running out and then add a bottle to a full tank and run it out. Injectors really don't get dirty anymore like they used to. Just good ole routine maintenence, fuel filter replacement, and a bottle of good cleaner once a month and you should be fine.

I do agree, it seems as though the heads themselves get more junk in/on them instead of the injectors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni