How To Change Rear Diff Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a quick how-to for changing your own rear differential oil. this will save you about $40 or so from taking it to a shop.

1)loosen bolts (dont remove) all around diff cover and allow fluid to drain.

2)after done draining, remove diff cover and set off to side.

3)inspect gears for chipped teeth and look in carriage for debris. clean anything out that doesnt belong.

4)replace new gasket or use RTV (black) and put cover back on.
NOTE: if you are using RTV to create a gasket then wait 1hr after putting cover on to let dry.

5)find fill plug and open (should just require 3/8 ratchet, no socket needed, and maybe 3" extension).

6)Fill using owner's manual preferred oil. Trust me, its in there.
FOR 01 EXPY WITH 9.75 REAR....75W140 FULL SYNTHETIC WITH OIL FRICTION MODIFIER...JUST OVER 3QTS.

And there you have it. It just cost you $75 and about 1hr (drain time, wait time on RTV, and fill time) to do the same job that most places charge $110+tax.

I will have some pics to follow.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can also spray out the housing and gears with brake clean after the oil drains to clean it out better for a better visual for everything inside.... but good details on doing it.... wanna do mine LOL... wait were is DGray69 he can do it...:D

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just in case any of you were wondering what your limited slip rear end looks like...

family040.jpg
[/IMG]
family039.jpg
[/IMG]
family037.jpg
[/IMG]

and this is what the fluid is NOT supposed to look like. This is what it looks like when you have water in there...not good.
family038.jpg
[/IMG]

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what brand are you using? my dad said he would pay for the oil and gasket. and it is about $75 for everything. we can do that next weekend if you want while we do your short shaft.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks man. just thought i would let everyone know how easy it was.

panda, i used valvoline from napa. it was $14 a bottle (buy 4 of them) and i only bought one bottle of 4oz modifier, but buy the 7oz instead. royal purple was super expensive. i bought the valvoline cuz it said compatible with ford...it shouldnt really matter what brand, as long as you buy the recommended weight. it should be on something like page 252 in your book. just look up fluids and it will tell you the page to find the levels and types. i believe most of the expys take the 75w140 FULLY SYNTHETIC.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that what mine takes. i just didnt know what brand you used. a lot of options out there. ill see what oreileys recommends.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i called kragen (oreilly's) and they said they had some royal purple. its $17 a bottle. you can do this as cheap or as expensive as you want. but i think you are just paying for the name in my opinion.

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you had that wide open and did not put locker in.mmmmm great oppertunity to throw in that detroit, or arb locker. man thats rough. pull it apart again and at least weld that puppy. lmao

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357