Should I replace my serpentine belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should change my serpentine belt. The problem is, I'm all about preventive maintenance, but also I don't like to fix things that aren't broken. My expy has 130k miles on the orginal serpentine belt, but it's 80% freeway cruizing and the belt still looks almost new. I've read they are supposed to be changed between 60 - 100k... do you guys think I should get a new one now or wait longer until I see signs of wear? I'm kinda of leaning towards getting it done now so I have an excuse to install these performance pulleys.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well i nvr changed mine. i have 152000 on it. mine still looks good too. but if your to do all that trouble and change pulleys then i would change the belt too.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I changed mine, I just kept my stock one (which was still in pretty good condition) and put it on top of my spare. I had to change because the chip made the belt chirp at every gear shift.

My sister had hers go out, and she had to get it towed, cuz it was in the middle of the night and no stores were open.

Granted, I also have a torque wrench, so I would be able to "operate" the idler pulley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01