1998 4X4 problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow-D

Reaction score
I searched to forum and didn't find an answer for this.

1998 Expedition 4.6 V8 auto trans electronic / vacuum 4X4

My 4 wheel drive stopped working a couple of years ago and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. I have located the problem, the front axle won't lock. I was told once by a mechanic that the vac valve on the front axle was bad and it was a $50 part. I decided I could do the work myself but, again, I just haven't had the time to look into it.

Fast forward to today.
I made the time to check everything with my wife and found that the vac valve IS working but it isn't locked on the pin that comes out of the diff.
Is there supposed to be some sort of locking mechanism / clip on the valve that holds it to the pin or do I need to replace the valve?

Thanks
D

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shadow-D

Reaction score
valve IS working but it isn't locked on the pin that comes out of the diff.
Is there supposed to be some sort of locking mechanism / clip on the valve that holds it to the pin or do I need to replace the valve?

Thanks
D
Pin = the shaft that engages the front axle. Valve is not connected and there isn't any way to lock it on it.
I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic. IF I did we wouldn't be having this discussion now would we :rolleyes:

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can you take a pic of what you are talking about? i can take a look under mine and see what we got goin on.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im lost here... the valve is working, as you say then what is the problem... is the valve no hooked to the shaft that locks the passenger side axel to the diff??? really need a picture here... or is the valve not staying engaged?? if so there is a vacum leak and the valve more than likly is bad

OP
OP
S

Shadow-D

Reaction score
im lost here... the valve is working, as you say then what is the problem... is the valve no hooked to the shaft that locks the passenger side axel to the diff??? really need a picture here... or is the valve not staying engaged?? if so there is a vacum leak and the valve more than likly is bad
That is exactly what is going on. I will try to get a pic or two today.
Thanks

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01