4x4 Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I can't seem to get my 4x4 low to engage. When it is in low, it works like in 4x4 high. I'm not sure if it is the motor or maybe the switch. When I switch from auto 4 to 4 hi, you can hear it click, but it doesn't when I switch to low. I'm not sure if it should or not. My 4 low light comes on when all of the lights on the dash come on before you start, but not when in 4 low. My auto 4 also doesn't engage either. It is just in 2 wheel, but I prefer it that way.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Zerick

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know Jeff, I did not know that, thank you very much. I guess if I would have thought it through more since it splits the gears. . . I feel like an idiot know lol. Wish my previous vehicles were 4x4. You learn something every day.

Thanks again!!

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it worked, I ran outside and tried it out and drove around the block during our white out here in Laramie. Don't worry, I went slow. Now I will have some more power tearing through big snow drifts

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i didnt know that until one time i needed 4low and it didnt work. i got pissed i threw the shifter into wht i thought was park but was neutral and i herd a clunk. instant 4low. haha now i know. i wouldnt tear it up too fast though. i think with 4low 55 is max. but even thats to fast. i would say 15 is max. 15 on speedo not real. haha

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha, funny how you learn little things like that from mistakes. Wish I would have had it today breaking through drifts in the mountains, the higher rpms would be nice. I got through in high, but it bogged down pretty good in long drifts.

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are welcome. You never know what guys know and do not. I did not want to come across as a know it all. 4H and AWD just engages the front diff. 4L engages the transfer case to run both the front and rear low.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni