Vibration under Load/Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocE1962

Reaction score
2000 4.6 136K with a vibration under load/acceleratoin. When starting from stop and slowly progress through shifts it feels smooth as can be. Soon as I accerelerate, even moderately get on it, I start to get a vibration.

Wheel Alignment Center said it is absolutley not alignment or wheel balance related.

So then it has to be Drive Shaft Imbalnace, Original U-Joints, Harmonic Balance, Half Shafts or Transmission?

Anyone with similar problem, please let me know what your solution was?

OP
OP
D

DocE1962

Reaction score
The engine is smooth as silk and without error codes. Its definately a power train issue, but thanks for the response.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the vibration only occurs as the engine is under heavier loads such as hard acceleration, that usually means it's exhaust pipe related. The engine will twist and move around during heavy acceleration. When the engine moves it might be allowing an exhaust pipe to touch the floorboard, and when that happens you get a severe vibration and noise.

I noticed on my truck that the exhaust heat shields touch the floor but not the pipes. Maybe yours is touching a pipe. Maybe you have a torn engine mount that's allowing the engine to move around a lot.

OP
OP
D

DocE1962

Reaction score
That sounds very plausable. My heat sheild is a source of noise when initially started the engine but quiets within minutes. I to have thought that a engine mount may be broken.

I have a reputible mechanic looking at it on Monday of this coming week and hope its a quick find and inexpensive fix.

I will post any findngs and there outcomes relative the vibration issue as they occurr.

Thanks for responding and I will run your thought process past him when I drop off the truck on Monday.

Happy Easter!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DocE1962

Reaction score
Well the truck went into the Frame & Suspension shop today and within 2 hours I received a call saying the front drive shaft was in very bad shape and in need of an overhaul. The price quoated stood firm at $389.74 which included parts, test drive fee, labor and applicable taxes. The overauled front drive shaft has completely removed any and all traces of a vibration under load/acceleration. I asked the owner of the shop was there anything else needed in the near or distant furture? He replied we went over every aspect of the drive train components except the transmision and there was nothing else needed at this time, "we only corrected the problems we found." I also asked about futrue maintence and he said nothing out of the routine should be required. New grease fittings were installed as is customary and the truck rides beatifully.

If your in need of an ethically qualified shop in Southern New Jersey simply reply to this post and I'll send you his direction. He has been at this for over 35 years and does business the old fashion way by word of mouth in a state of the art facility that is as honest as you will find. He even called me the next day to see what my thoughts were about the work performed and if it was too my liking. Wow do you believe that, they called me to follow-up. WTG Guys JWD.:D:D:D

Last edited: