Installing amp and subs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ex0r

Reaction score
I have a 97 expedition, eddie bauer edition. It has the mach audio system and 6 disc changed. can I install an aftermarket amp and subwoofer system into the car using the stock stereo, or does it require some special hardware?

I want to install an amp and a couple of 12 or 15" woofers in my truck, but want to know if its possible with the current system or if I have to do something special.

05Expedition

Reaction score
You can use a line output convertor which converts the high output from speaker wires into RCA's for a sub input or if your amp may have high level inputs which would take direct speaker wire in.

OP
OP
E

Ex0r

Reaction score
Is that something that will work on the stock head unit or only for aftermarket?

What I am wanting to do, is replace the original amp and subwoofer with the aftermarket ones in a box in the back of the truck. I don't think the stock woofer would sound nice next to a couple JL subs.

Do you know what the name of this convertor is or a picture of what it looks like so I can shop around my local electronics/radio shop for it?

Is it vehicle specific, or does it work on all radios.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=DiMBTuvlG8eVqQHfzrzWDw&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAw

If you are refering to that, i'm pretty sure that only works on hooking aftermarket radios up to the factory amp/speaker system. i am looking for something to hook an aftermarket amp/subwoofer up to a stock speaker system and headunit.

Hmm, it looks like I can use that, but I need to cut and splice my original harness in order to use it? Since the headunit doesn't have a wiring harness other than the main harness plugging into it, buying an adapter won't do any good. I wonder if they make a special adapter I can use that will do what I need it to.

Last edited:

05Expedition

Reaction score
The convertor doesn't have to be connected at the headunit, it can connect to any speaker wires in the car. If the sub you're removing has wires with a high level signal then you can convert that to RCA's for your aftermarket amps. Here's one below I saw on crutchfield and they have many different ones there as well.

Plus feel free to ask the guys at the audio shop, if they know their stuff they should be able to help you out. Might help you visualize what you need to do.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html?search=line+output+converters

OP
OP
E

Ex0r

Reaction score
hmm that one looks like it has to be spliced into the original wiring harness, too. I was hoping i could use a solution that didnt require messing up the original wiring harness.

Do you know anything about the 1997 ford expedition? How does the amp hook up to the radio? I had read somewhere that you can buy an amp bypass harness, and if that's the case I can disconnect factory amp, plug in harness, and wire the line output convertor into that, most likely. Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ex0r

Reaction score
Okay, I found what I need to do.

I can get one of those schoche in-line convertors, like pictured below:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2008/142/p142SLC4-F.jpeg

and with that, I can wire into the rear speakers at the head unit, into the 'input' on one side (Splice two additional wires into the original harness, and plug those wires into that box), than run the rcas to the 'output' on that box. It may be easier though, instead of putting it behind the head unit, if I move it closer to the amp and subwoofers and connect directly into the rear speakers, than I won't need to run so much extra wire as the rear speakers are in the back anyways.

From there I hook the amp up regular and use the chassis in the back as ground. One question I have though is, since the battery is on the passenger side, I am going to run the amp 12v wire along the passenger side, but is there a good hole in the firewall to run it out of, or do I have to drill a new one?

Some idiot before me installed some cheap fog lights inside the grill, and I removed them, but the switch is still there, so I am going to hook the remote turn on wire to the switch so i can turn the amp off and still listen to the radio when I don't want the amp on (My wife likes to listen to rock and stuff too, so that'll help)

What do you guys think?