2004 Ford Expedition Cuts Off randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TropPavSeal

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Ford expedition, that idles and runs fine, almost all the time. Now suddenly, with no warning it is stalling out. No noise, no shutter, just shuts downs as I am driving down the road. Sometime I can put it neutral while I am rolling, other times I have to come to a complete halt and wait a few secodns and recrank. Again, it works perfect once it recranks. This does not occur during a rainstorm or after a car wash. Any help to figure out where to start.

najoja03

Reaction score
2004 ford expedition randomly cuts off

My 2004 Ford expedition would randomly cut off while driving. No one could tell me the issue. The only response I got from the dealership was the computer did not dignose any codes; therefore, they could not tell me what was wrong. The car would cut off; however, after 1-5 mintues it would re-start. I tried replacing the fuel filter which did not help. I also tried changing my gas type, this did not help. After 8 months of dealing with the headache of no one being able to tell we what was wrong, I decided to take my car to a small local mechanic. The mechanic told me that the chip in my key went bad, which was causing the car computer not to be able to read it; therefore, the car would cut off. The solution to my problem was to have a new key cut and reprogrammed to my car computer. The car has not cut off since..

Cost- $67.00 to dignose
Locksmith- $100 to cut a new key and re-program the key

Also, my brother had a similar issue and replaced the EGR Sensor which solved his problem.

FYI- I checked everywhere and there is no recall on this issue with the Expeditions. I hope this helps anyone that is having this same issue.

smart

Reaction score
2004 Dies for no reason and then restarts fine

Did your 04 Keep running since this last post? Or has anything else came up with this issue? My 2004 is doing the same thing and Dealer diagnose wants to change fuel pump and electrical junction box. It dies more when my wife is driving it and she usually uses her key. When I use my daily key, it has died on me twice in the last month. I am going to try driving it with our new spare key and see if it makes a difference.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smart this is an old thread, doubt the op will answer you.
From what I've read about PATS it only functions during the start sequence after that nothing. Doubt the key was the issue.

Pick up a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure the next time it dies. That would tell you if it is a fuel issue.

And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

sbard

Reaction score
driver module

Do the 2004's have a fuel pump driver module? There is a lot of stuff about '05's or newer with that being the problem. Mine will stop running while driving at highway speeds. Then will restart days later.

The '04 F-150's seem to have the part.