Discolored Side Panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSRocket

Reaction score
Over the last year, the grey side panels (exterior) of my 2003 Expy XLT have begun to fade. Anyone have a similar problem?

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, many people have. That's why Ford is replacing them for FREE! Go visit your dealer and have him pull the TSB concerning the faded panels. :)

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JSRocket, just curious if your vehicle spends a lot of time parked outside or inside the garage?

Is the fading due to too much sun exposure and Ford didn't properly protect or use good materials when making the running boards?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TSB # 04-17-07

FORD: 2003-2004 Expedition

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2004 Expedition XLT vehicles, (excluding Eddie Bauer models), built 2/1/2003 to 12/31/2003 may exhibit the front and rear exterior door trim and fender extension moldings (cladding) fading.

ACTION:
Replace all cladding on all four (4) doors and fender extensions. All cladding supplied in the Service Kit must be installed to prevent color mismatch and continued fading.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Clean off the area below the character line and above the cladding. Remove dirt as necessary.
Apply protective tape (minimum width 1") directly above the molding. This will prevent scratches when moving the tool along the cladding to release (pop up) the cladding retaining clips.
NOTE: PAINTING WILL NOT BE APPROVED FOR THIS REPAIR.

Using Trim Removal Tool (OTC-4489), open the door and begin to pop up the nine (9) retaining clips across the top of the cladding and the four (4) across the bottom. Once the cladding has been removed from the body, remove the protective tape.
Install the new part (retaining clips are included on the new part). Repeat the repair on the remaining doors.
Remove the two (2) screws that attach the fender extensions.
NOTE: RETAIN THE SCREWS AS THEY WILL BE REUSED.

Install the new fender extensions reusing the original screws.
Return the vehicle to the customer.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
4L1Z-78465K00-AAA Medium Dark Platinum Cladding Kit
3L1Z-78465K00-AAB Medium Platinum Cladding Kit
3L1Z-78465K00-AAA Medium Titanium Cladding Kit

datbolcy

Reaction score
What if your vehicle is not still under warranty and you dont have an extended warranty? I have a 2003 expedition and it is having the same problem but I used a bumper spray and it looks better but would like it replaced. Will the dealer replace them for me?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by datbolcy
What if your vehicle is not still under warranty and you dont have an extended warranty? I have a 2003 expedition and it is having the same problem but I used a bumper spray and it looks better but would like it replaced. Will the dealer replace them for me?

No, they definitely won't replace them if you are out of your warranty. Mine is still under warranty and I couldn't get my dealership to replace it still. I probably could have fought it more, but I'm just going to paint them anyway so I gave up on it.

datbolcy

Reaction score
Can you let me know how and what you use to paint the moldings? i have asked around and every shop tells me that it will chip off eventually. I really want a black on black truck and dont want to spend 3k replacing all the moldings.

bvonbehren

Reaction score
Embarrassed!!!!!!

I bought our Expedition XLT FX4 new on October 2003. Shortly after purchase the front and rear door claddings, as well as the front and rear fender extensions of both sides started fading and discoloring. I contacted the original selling dealer as wel as three others and continually received the reply of: "We have never seen this before and FORD will not do anything about it". If anyone has any advise on for to fight FORD to get this resolved, please respond to my email: [email protected].

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my dealer to replace mines under warranty in 2005 but they only replaced 3 of the panels and lied about the fourth. I took them off three weeks ago and paint all of them so they would match. They came out excellent, no light or dark shadows and it made the truck look new again. I'm in the process of doing the bumpers now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni