Best Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if a thread is already open about this. (Sorry if there is guys)

I'm doing an oil change tomorrow & I wanted to see what everybody uses & thinks is the best oil.

I usually just get whatever is on sale but since the milage is starting to really climb I think I should find out what's best.

Any information would be apreciated. Thanks guys!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I always use synthetic. Mobil 1 or Castrol as local walmart carries both.

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
synthetic here too, look up bobtheoilguy it is a forum dedicated to nothing but oil analysis and stuff. Lots of stuff to read there.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rotella is cheap an gives great protection, if it is good enough for an 18 wheeler to use for tens of thousands of miles between changes then it is good enough for my Expy. I am using the 10-40 and I haven't burned a drop in the 1500 or so miles that I have driven my Expy this year.
$20 or so for seven quarts and a Wix filter and I don't worry about it.

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you know they are all pretty much manufactured by like 3 companies... so even cheap shit is the same as good stuff, now I agree there are different synthetics, but watch bob the oil guy - maybe synthetic isn't better... just saying - watch it climb - oh ya it doesn't... so is that better? these things are supposed to run dino oil - just keep er clean and change it often - oh ya you bought an expy for mileage? LOL

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
haha wow. i just use castrol gtx. always ran it. but for a while now, a few years ive ran high mileage. helped the oil burn and valve knock i was having on first start ups. and yes BP makes it... :( found that out after the whole oil incident. haha idc! ill keep using it, just not arco! only put arco in if i NEED IT! like out in the desert. its the closest stop for gas. i used to always run fram filters too, but my dad saved like $30 by getting the 5 or 6 quarts with a wix filter deal they have at orielys right now. ill switch back to fram high mileage next time. but i dont blame him for saving a few bucks. got 3 cars to do, and a 4th every once in a while.

OP
OP
Explor2Exped

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to practically every auto store & the prices are ridiculous. Over $40 for the black Castrol 5 quarts w filter.

My main question now, Is there a difference between the Black bottle (synthetic) & the cheap white bottle (non synthetic)? I'm pretty tight on money, but I want the best for my expy. It's over 200,000miles.

Anyways after shopping around I got back home & threw a Check Engine code. F*ck!!!!

I'm pretty stressed out right now....