battery light/check charging system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cookiemonster

Reaction score
I have a 03 Expedition EB and I have a intermitant problem: the battery light comes on, chimes, message center says check charging system. I have had it at the dealer twice, once for two days, they say Ford is aware of the problem but does not have a fix at present! This morning my wife drove about 10 miles round trip and she said it beeped and blinked all the way. HELP!
UPDATE- Returned to dealer and they installed a new alternator, didn't help, still has problem. Today I bought a volt meter that plugged into the lighter outlet to see if the voltage was falling off when it started chiming, etc. It was not! The voltage is staying between 13.5 - 14. Any ideas? Maybe a shorted wire behind the dash, instrument cluster? I'll take it back to the dealer Monday, they are trying. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

stan750rr

Reaction score
I am having the same problems in my 03EB. It just started last night driving through the snow. I have an appt Wed. at the local dealer for the mirrors moving on there own and a squeling noise under the hood(possiblly bad pulley). I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cookiemonster

Reaction score
I read a post just a few days ago on Blue Oval News, guy having the same problem. He said dealer in Aransas Pass (TX) found his problem was a wiring harness was shorting out on part of the a/c unit. They replaced and rerouted under warranty. I'm taking this print out to my dealer and get them to check it out.
Thanks for the reply

stan750rr

Reaction score
Just got mine back and they gave me a new alt. & battery.The noise under the hood ended up being the power steering pump was shifted slightly.The also fixed the mirrors.

chrisr

Reaction score
check charging system

cookiemonster, did you ever find a solution to this problem? My 03 expy is doing the same thing - the alternator was replaced and this did not resolve the issue.

chrisr

Reaction score
well thats not what i wanted to hear.....

thanks for the reply

chrisr

Reaction score
Cookiemonster, the dealer replaced the wiring harness that runs between the alternator and the battery, and the problem is gone. If you want additional info on this fix let me know.

OP
OP
C

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Any additional info would be helpful, I will take it to the dealer, maybe they can use the info to find my problem, Thanks!

harpergreene

Reaction score
Check Charging System message

I am having the same issue as some of you. I will get the "Check Charging System" message along with the battery light. It can go for a day or two with no messages, then multiple messages back to back. Has there been any new light shed on this subject? I could really use the help.

2004 Expedition 2wd
5.4L
150K miles