Dash won't light up anymore (2000 Exp.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryandelany

Reaction score
Earlier this year I lost all my dash lighting. At first it was intermittent, now they just won't come on at all. It's almost like something is loose though because once in a (very long) while, they will come back on for a few minutes then be gone again.

I also had the problem where the odometer wasn't lighting up consistently anymore either so I thought the two were related.

So, using information from the following threads, I attempted to fix both issues.

Odometer problem:

(Removing the cluster)
http://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-tos/372987-how-change-your-cluster-color-97-03-a.html

(Fixing the actual problem)
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...rmittent-digital-odometer-repair-99-03-a.html

Dash lights not working:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning/389331-dash-lights-out-how-fix.html

Unfortunately for me, the 2000 Expedition cluster doesn't have the parts referenced in this link. The three wires, the fuse, etc. just aren't there.

Does anyone know where these parts are on the 2000 Expedition, or more importantly, how to fix the problem?? I don't mind the darkness at night, but I can never see exactly how fast I'm going!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ryan, if you lost all of your dash lighting, then odds are you have lost the dimmer control module. That is built into the headlight switch. So, get yourself a new headlight switch, remove the headlight switch and that should fix your problem.

OP
OP
R

ryandelany

Reaction score
Thanks Thermo.

Is there a way to somehow test that before I go buy another one? Is that the part that you spin up/down to dim/brighten the lights? If so, I can spin it all the way up and turn on the overhead lighting in the vehicle. Not sure if that's an indication that the switch is ok or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Also, I've checked fuses, etc. and none of them seem to the be problem. Not to mention that once in a very long while, the lights do work which leads me to believe it can't be a bad fuse.

Ryan

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ryan, you will need to pull the headlight switch out and then find a light blue/red wire. Put the red lead on the light blue/red wire and the black lead on chassis ground. Then with the headlight switch not in the OFF position, if you are seeing voltage on this wire, then the problem is the wiring inside the dash. If you don't see any voltage there, it pretty much confirms the dimmer module is toast.

OP
OP
R

ryandelany

Reaction score
Thermo,

That's great news. I just did what you said and there was no voltage at the switch. In addition to that, I realized that the odometer, stereo LCD, and HVAC LCD (which still work), don't dim when you spin the wheel up and down which further supports your assessment that the dimmer itself is shot.

I'll go ahead and order a new switch and see if that resolves the issue. I'll keep you posted, thanks for the help!

Ryan

OP
OP
R

ryandelany

Reaction score
Just an update on this thread in case anyone else has the same issue. I ordered a replacement part, Motorcraft SW5980 for $69 from Amazon, got the part yesterday and promptly replaced it. Much to my surprise, it worked and solved the problem with all the dash lights. I had forgotten how many things light up in the truck at night (door lock buttons, steering wheel controls, HVAC controls in the rear, rear window buttons, etc.)

If anyone else has the problem where your odometer, time on the stereo, screen on the HVAC control unit, and the overhead compass work but no other lights work, replace the light switch/dimmer combo. It's really easy to replace yourself (pop out the unit, unplug two wire harnesses).

Thanks again for your help Thermo!

Ryan

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
ryan, not a problem. Once you know how the truck is wired up, a lot of the electrical problems are easy to figure out.

GilGraue

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got a 2002 expy eddie bauer edition a few days ago. I am having the exact same problem with the cluster lighting as well as radio buttons, door panel buttons, etc not lighting. I can turn on and off the interior dome lights and head lights, but nothing at all illuminates at night (except overhead compass). Will replacing my headlight switch fix this issue as it did for you???

OP
OP
R

ryandelany

Reaction score
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine, in which case, the answer is yes, I am confident that will solve your problem. Seems like the switch just wears out over time and loses contact, so replacing the whole unit solves the problem. My lights are still working to this day after replacing the unit.

Good luck!

Ryan

GilGraue

Reaction score
I actually replaced the fuse under dash as well as under hood. Both with 25 amp fuses. No issues at all now

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze