06 King Ranch fans speed control not workin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TK-Fett

Reaction score
Hey guys the electronic fan speed control on my 06 King Ranch Expy has started giving me trouble.

I can't adjust the speed anymore. The display will show an increase and decrease when I push the rocker switches but the air flow is alway full blast. I sometimes have to go up to full blast to get it to kick on. The temperature control still works as does the location switches.

If I press the off button the display goes black like its turned off but all the air switches to the deforst vents, which I understand is the neutral position for the location.

If I turn the system off and shut the vehicle off then turn it back on the air will remain off until I turn it back on again, at which point I get full blast air speed again.

Since this started about 4 months ago it has worked normally for like 2 or 3 days but only for one start up / shut off cycle and never twice in a row. These were all on sepearate occasions.

Does anyone have any idea? Is there a module that controls the fan speed on the inside that I can replace. This also seems to only effect the front vents. I belive the controls for the rear vents still work normally. But I will have to double check that.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brought to you by our friends at Ford:

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

The EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A diagnostic tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4-32°C (40-90°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.
To enter the self-test, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within 2 seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler temperature) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent DTCs and then turn OFF (display blank).
To exit self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module — Retrieve Continuous DTCs

The EATC module will retrieve only continuous (intermittent) DTCs when carrying out this procedure.

Retrieval of continuous DTCs can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when retrieving continuous DTCs.
To retrieve continuous DTCs, press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. All vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no continuous DTCs present. Continuous DTCs are indicated by the presence of the degrees Celsius symbol (°C) on the EATC module display. Record all DTCs displayed.
If any DTCs appear, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
To exit and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and retain all continuous DTCs.
To exit and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the procedure before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the procedure is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

From the symptom chart:

The blower motor does not operate correctly — EATC
A/C blower motor speed control.
A/C blower motor.
EATC module

PM your email address and I'll send more info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TK-Fett

Reaction score
When I run the ESTC self test I get codes 2266 and 2267 both of which are listed as blend door issues and I know about that.

I'm still stumped about why I only have full blast or off.

The condition has changed though. Now the full blast air won't activate until I turn the controls to max. If I move the fan speed down one not it shuts the fan off completely.

Also the off button is working now so that I can turn the air off without shutting g the vehicle off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360