Grinding, rumbling sound when using front AC/fan on 2003 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgoss66

Reaction score
Hi all,

I own a 2003 Expedition, and I'm having a problem that is getting worse with time. When running the AC, I am getting a grinding/rumbling noise from what seems to be something associated with the fan/blower, when the fan is set at the higher speed levels. Sometimes, the noise will go away after awhile; sometimes it will go away by switching to a different (higher or lower) fan speed. The only way to DEFINITELY make the noise go away, is to run the AC at the lowest fan speed settings (1, and sometimes 2 will work as well). When the noise is occurring, there is very low, if any, air flow. Switching to the lower fan speed, allowing the noise to stop, results in proper air flow.

I have been researching this issue online, and have come up with suggestions ranging from the speed selector switch, to the blower motor switch, to the blend door, to the blend door actuator (with plastic gears, apparently -- with teeth that break off possibly causing this problem). Some of these repairs, apparently, are quite expensive if done at a dealership, since it seems that perhaps the whole dashboard requires removal?

I am hoping to be able to fix this issue myself; if anyone can help me narrow down the problem, and how to approach fixing it, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be the fan itself is cracked. The one on my Bronco was plastic and cracked where the motor shaft went through.

On another note. On my mother in laws Accord the was a dead mouse in the fan throwing it off balance.

OP
OP
S

sgoss66

Reaction score
60Hcode -- thanks for the info. So I could even be the fan...

Seems like there may be 4 or 5 possible issues causing these symptoms?

Steve