Are superchips really super?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carid

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Automobile manufacturers must compete in a marketplace where fuel consumption, horsepower and torque are big factors, but they must also comply with emissions and other regulations. To meet these demands modern cars are controlled by computers. The computer, known as an ECU (Engine Control Unit), controls all engine settings like the air/fuel mixture, ignition timing and idle speed. A quick and easy way to do this and upgrade your vehicle’s performance is with a “superchip”, also known as an aftermarket performance chip. Aftermarket performance chips are made to adjust parameters to increase engine power and torque. The effects of the superchip can be easily reversed just by plugging it into the ECU and choosing the reset option, which will cause the ECU to revert to the factory settings. Overall, upgrading your ECU settings with a superchip is a fairly simple and low cost alternative for the everyday auto enthusiast.

Select your year model, check prices and choose superchips here: Performance Chips & Programmers at CARiD.com

Banks® - AutoMind™ Programmer http://www.carid.com/2014-ford-expedition-performance-chips/banks-automind-programmer-26050678.html

66110.jpg

SUPERCHIPS® - Cortex Programmer http://www.carid.com/superchips/cortex-programmer.html

superchips-cortex-programmer.jpg

Hypertech® - Speedometer Calibrator http://www.carid.com/hypertech/speedometer-calibrator.html

hypertech-speedometer-calibrator.jpg

SUPERCHIPS® - Flashpaq Tuner http://www.carid.com/superchips/flashpaq-tuner.html

superchips-flashpaq-tuner.jpg

Have any of you tried them and what is your opinion on this products?

Last edited:

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run the Superchips Cortex Tuner. Usually I run the 87 octane tune and it feels like a different truck compared to the stock tune. When I take it anywhere for service I put the stock tune back in notice the difference.

Goats

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know in diesel tuning they are all horrible. With over sensitive gas pedal,tranny shifting untouched ,and to much smoke output. The canned tunes is what the issue is. Always get a custom tune. I also have a Diablo sport as well. The canned tune sucked but the custom one was perfect and it was on a gas car.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please be careful - your OP is misleading. ECU tunes are NOT "chips" and they are NOT known as "superchips"; because "SuperChips" is a manufacturer name; not a general name for an ECU programmer.

Further, sometimes misuse of a Programmer can lead to (what amounts to) complete engine failure - requiring replacement of a vechile's ECU, or worse.

Another aspect is more wear on the engine; and lubricants, etc. Nothing is "free" with ECU tuning. Oil change intervals, Transmission fluid perhaps, etc, can be altered as a result of tuning.

Almost ALL Gains are the result of adjusting engine timing - which may require higher octane (remember, Octane makes gas HARDER to ignite - does NOT make 'gas more powerful), and increased costs there.

Some engines - not saying those in an Expedition - are very-much on the edge; using a tune from a hand-held might HURT engine performance if other mods aren't accounted for.

Lastly - be careful in the advertised power from hand-helds. I'd bet - and I can't really prove - but I'd bet 90% of the claims are bogus, or they are factual but with HUGE caveats.

Unless you do a baseline dyno of your vehicle, then add the tune, then re-dyno, you'll have no idea if it even made positive horsepower / tq despite what you think you feel the truck doing.

YMMV.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have the Superchips Cortex 1950 as well and i'm very pleased with the programmer...i use the Gas X Saver setting mainly for the increased mpg and the ability to change tire size since i have 26 inch rims/tires...with a few other mods to my truck i get great mpg's on the highway...sometimes i will use the 87 octance performance setting...and it brings out the beast in the truck...a true indication of what is ahead for me when i put a supercharger on it...i would prefer custom tunes but i am happy with the product...i have saved money and it has paid for itself several times over

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ya know - I don't want folk thinking I don't LIKE my Superchips 1840-something or nother...Very fond of the device, actually :) Got 17mpg average over a tank; with off-roading for nearly half of it :)

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm all stock engine wise.
I've learned to live with the fact that my truck is slow.
If my Expy wins any race, that just means the competitors vehicle is broken!

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my SCT X4. The canned tunes were ok. I think the custom economy tune makes more power (at least down low) than the canned performance tune. I get 17 in town 21 highway in a 4x4. I'm happy with that but hoping for a little more with the e-fans I just put on.

OP
OP
carid

carid

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, guys. There is no general opinion about performance chips, or superchips. If the new chip is not programmed properly, you could experience reduced engine life. However, numerous test results and experience of our customers prove positive outcome.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
please stop calling them 'chips' - in the automotive performance world you'd be looked-down-upon. It's like calling the internet the interwebs, etc. :)