Hitch mounted Cargo Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbovine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is anyone using one of these, Id like to get a trunk style carrier that mounts into the hitch, or Im even up for some DIY if someone has done one before that I can get some inspiration from.
Something like this would be perfect but Id like to do it on the cheap
59109_500.jpg

Even a lead on a good container that I could mount to one if the less expensive flat cargo carriers.

any thoughts?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't want that style as the load is way to far back and my concern would be the flexing of the load. It may not be to bad if the weight is kept within limits. But most tend to overload cargo units. The only benefit I can see from that type is that it allows for the rear hatch to be opened. I would much rather go with this style rack see attached Or you could look for a small cargo trailer such as the type made for motorcycles

Attachments

• 63153_tn.jpg
    63153_tn.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dbovine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The swinging out option isnt necessary, though yet being able to open the gate while the thing is on would be nice. Id just like the weather resistant hard case to be honest. But again I dont want to spend the 700 and up dollars on one. So the ones like you posted are more affordable but trying to find a good ruggedized case that I could mount to it seems more difficult

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry I think I may need new glasses just looked at the pic and didn't read about it.
I didn't notice that it was a swing out carrier.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the swing arm is a bonus...i may look into that myself

OP
OP
D

dbovine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I might check out some of the rubbermade or plastic storage trunks that walmart and Canadian Tire have and see if anything is the size I am looking for, lockable and weather resistant. If they can be had for less than $100, I think I might be able to make my own using a hitch basket for less than half the price of the existing ones

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 2 different ones. One is the black metal with sides and the other is aluminum and has the fold down ramp(so I can take my big A$$ snow blower to friends house's in the winter haha) I actually like the swing out style one(access to the hatch would be awesome on trips) I haven't ever seen that before. Although if it's $700 that's gona be out of my price range :(

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a cargo basket out back on the wife's Escape, we put a chrome delta truck chest on it for holding everything. Love the extra space and weather proof