Maaco Paint Job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all,
Maaco is offering a $300 "royal" paint job in my area. It includes primer, paint, clearcoat. I know they just tape up the car, and don't paint each part individually. Which is fine w me. My question is, has anyone seen or experienced Maaco's paint jobs? Is it going to peel off at the first sign of snow/salt? My Expy has some Bondo work here and there, and the last paint job was not done well, so it is peeling. I want to make sure if they paint it, they will go around and prep the car, peeling off all the loose stuff, and not just painting over everything.
Any ideas? Thanks guys.

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had a friend that got his car paint by maaco a couple of years ago and it lookd ok but didnt last that long, they just wet sand it and tape and paint, they dont take out dents or fix rust spots, they can but they charge more for the whole prep work. you can do the same paint job your self and take all the dents out and even look better and last longer for the same price there asking for.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my brother and i did the prep and dent repair and we removed all the lights and trim off and sanded the truck (late 80's toyota pickup for my nephew) made a big difference in the quality of the paint thats the good i had a car few years back and had them do the tape and spray as soon as winter hit and deicer the paint started to peel... hope this helps you

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddy and I prepped his little toyota truck 10 years ago and they sprayed it. I did look good for a while but it fell apart in a few years, flaking and peeling off.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but if its only 300-500 bucks, then after a couple years when it starts to look shabby, cant you just get it redone? i just dont see the sense in getting an expensive paintjob if you plan on wheeling it too. i planned on going with maaco as well. something cheap to make it look good but also not afraid to scratch it. then in a couple years when it starts to look like shit, just get it redone at maaco on their next sale!

Spoon-Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but if its only 300-500 bucks, then after a couple years when it starts to look shabby, cant you just get it redone? i just dont see the sense in getting an expensive paintjob if you plan on wheeling it too. i planned on going with maaco as well. something cheap to make it look good but also not afraid to scratch it. then in a couple years when it starts to look like shit, just get it redone at maaco on their next sale!

Thats what I did.. Mine was painted two years ago. it still looks ok. it will last longer if you dont wheel your truck an take care of it.. But that no fun.

Dani*B

Reaction score
If you want to re-do your paint in one 1/2 to 2 years, go Maaco. They are notorious for faulty work. I want to repaint mine as well but I am going to save up for a while and head to a bodyshop, even if it is going to cost a couple G's.

Maaco repainted my Integra Bring-Ding-Rice-Rocket I still unfortunately have and the silver is waaay off and the clearcoat is shot after like three years. Granted I wasn't too thrilled with that car and hardly waxed the damn thing...

But now I have my Expy and love being a little mama in a big truck! Anyway, No- Maaco. You may be better off contacting a body shop who will do it right. You'll be happier in the end.

socomboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah no maaco. my brother had a candy red put onto a 72 camaro. look nice for about 3 years then it was all downhill.

OP
OP
I

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. i decided rather than paint the XLT, I would off road it until it was just about ready to die and sell it. which i did, (video/pics coming soon) and it was great. Then i got myself a 98 Eddie. It's beautiful...and won't be seeing any dirt until i find someone to put the lift on.