Battery Drain from Powertrain Control Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wemertz

Reaction score
I have a significant battery drain through the 30amp fuse under the hood that controls the PCM. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that might have an idea to how many outgoing circuits there are from the PCM that might drain the battery with the ignition off. I would like to disconnect them one at a time to see if I can stop the drainage.

Thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update your signature line with year model and engine information. This can be done in the USER CP section as this information helps others give you replies specific to your vehicle.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what is the amp draw at the battery with the engine off key out

need to know year, model and engine of your expy in order to send prints

OP
OP
W

wemertz

Reaction score
Battery drainage

The battery drain is .07 milliamps. When I pull the Audio 25amp fuse in the engine compartment I can get it down to .01 milliamps. And that is the problem. I can not find any significant drainage using the multimeter. My brother is an electronic engineer with 30 years experience and he can't find one either. We are at a lose. I don't know why, but the main draw comes from fuse #5 under the dash. If I can find the connectors associated with the circuit, I would pull them one at a time to see if I could eliminate the problem. Pulling the dash apart doesn't appeal to me, but if I have to, I will. If anyone has any ideas, I would like to hear them. I've already thought about selling the truck, but I don't want to saddle anyone else with this problem.
2001 Ford Expedition, 5.4L engine

Thanks,

Wayne

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PCM Outputs

Canister Vent Solenoid

Coil Pack

Coil On Plug

Engine Crank/Engine Running

CMP FMEM

Engine Cooling Fan Control

EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid

Electric Secondary Air Injection Pump

Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve

Fuel Cap Off Indicator Lamp

Fuel Pump

Applications Using a Fuel Pump Relay for Fuel Pump On/Off Control

Fuel Pump Driver Module Applications (and Applications with Fuel Pump Functions Incorporated in Rear Electronic Module)

Fuel Injectors

Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Solenoid

Generator Communication (Gen Com)

Hydraulic Cooling Fan Drive

Idle Air Control Solenoid

Intake Manifold Runner Control

Intake Manifold Swirl Control

Intake Manifold Tuning Valve

Secondary Air Injection Bypass Solenoid

Solid State Relay

Thermostat Heater Control

Transmission Control Indicator Lamp

Wide Open Throttle A/C Cut-Off

Vapor Management Valve

Powertrain Control Module - Vehicle Speed Output (VSO)

Ignition Systems

kwyorman

Reaction score
Wemertz, ck under the engine and tranny. There is a wire bundle that comes down the frame on the passenger side. I had a parasitic draw that turned into major problems when that wire bundle chaffed on the exhaust pipe and burned through. It may not be your problem,but it's something to check for a preemptive strike anyway. It has happened to more guys than just me. Good luck if you haven't already fixed it!