Dead No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So last night stopped in to get some food, before going home came back out and no start?!!!:think:
2 Hours latter she's on the back of a flatbed going home......

So Turn the key nothing, there 12V down on the one side of start solenoid on the starter. but don't hear anything clicking.
Should I assume stater Solenoid ??

2002 EB 5.4L AWD

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, safe assumption. Also consider what drives the solenoid, too - what sends it signal to open

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try putting trans in Nuetral. Might be the neutral safety switch. Get a test light and see if the small wire to the starter gets power when key is in crank position.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stater solenoid has two circuits. The control side (small studs) which is controlled by the ignition switch all safety switches with the other side being the starter side (larger studs).
You need to have power to the control side in order to work the solenoid so that current is supplied to the starter circuit. Anything along the control circuit can keep the solenoid from operating.
First rule is to try and start in neutral, just before and after it also since the range selector may need adjustment. If you still have a no start condition you can turn the ignition switch to "on" while in park and short the larger studs on the solenoid long enough to start it. Expect some sparks when you do that - also use a junker screw driver or wrench. A considerable amount indicates a starter problem and will usually scare the crap out of you.
Use a test light or DMM to check for power on the small studs while trying to start once your able. No power means a problem on the control side. If you have power to the little studs when you try to start then the solenoid may have bought the ghost or has a bad ground.
There are a few other test procedures if your interested.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can assume whatever you want But would be best to troubleshoot the circuit to make sure you have voltage thru the circuit.

Could be anything from a fuse, to the solenoid

Prints attached

Attachments

• 20-01.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 48
  • 20-02.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I know what ASS_U _ME means :favorites37:

Wasn't sure if it was as easy as old school fords, figured it won't be.

I tried the shift lever in N and all other spots didn't change.

I attempted to jump the posts at the solenoid on the starter. I could here the starter spin but was not shooting out, maybe not enough power to jump??

Thanks for the diagrams Roxy..

OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update !!

So after a month of the Expy sitting, I finally got to working on her.
After some testing it was the stater ( actually the solenoid on the side of the starter) that was gone. There was a lot of corrosion on the positive side of the solenoid, I think that's what did it in.
Side note it was a PIA to get off I think the headers didn't help.

Now at least I'm driving her again, just have to decide if I'm going to put the winters on or park her for the salt season.