Expedition completely shut off, loss of power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordGirl1983

Reaction score
We're currently researching and troubleshooting from yesterday's issue with my expedition, 99 5.4... Question what causes the power to completely shut off? Does the solenoid can short out, ground out? Can a relay or a fuse blow to make the guages stick (frozen at 50 on the odometer and the rpm stuck at 1000), other needles is down (gas, oil, battery, temp) will attach photo. We was on the highway when it happened, luckily we pulled over. It's most likely is a electrical issue. No power, no lights, no crank, just zippo! The battery seems to be good. Battery is currently disconnected. It was sparking at the battery terminal when trying to connect like it has a short somewhere. Any other information is appreciated, thank you.uploadfromtaptalk1455384804398.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little spark is normal but a large spark isn't. What type of electrical knowledge and tools do you have?

OP
OP
FordGirl1983

FordGirl1983

Reaction score
A little spark is normal but a large spark isn't. What type of electrical knowledge and tools do you have?
We have the well known tools like the multimeter. We tested between negative battery terminal and engine block including frame. Getting 12.4 vaults. Seems like it's grounding out.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a constant draw on the battery for the memory circuits. If you can measure amps I would do that next but place a 7.5amp fuse in series with the meter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FordGirl1983

FordGirl1983

Reaction score
Ok will look into that. Oh and thanks for closing the thread under the Gen 1 category. I've originally posted here in the Electrical category, I guess I was right the first time lol.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will normally see abut a 100-200 mA draw once the modules power down. Anything above that to 1A means something is on, above 5A I start thinking multiple circuits are on or short. If a maxi fuse pops without engine start attempt - definitely a short.

OP
OP
FordGirl1983

FordGirl1983

Reaction score
You will normally see abut a 100-200 mA draw once the modules power down. Anything above that to 1A means something is on, above 5A I start thinking multiple circuits are on or short. If a maxi fuse pops without engine start attempt - definitely a short.
Update, I think we found the problem. He said that the battery terminal or starter wire something like that connected on the starter has somehow seized, touched the engine block that caused the shortage. Still not out of woods yet but the repairs will be done soon this weekend.

Just to be sure, is the starter wire is 2 or 4 guage? It's a 99 5.4 Eddie Bauer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants