Fuel Pump Driver Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a write up on my experience with this on 1/13.
The moderators should make this topic a sticky,
because it's very common in severe weather areas
on both F150's and Expy's without older fuel return
systems. A little preventive maintenance and new
module will prevent the vehicle from being dead in
the water when you least expect it:

Removed the old Fuel Pump Driver Module. Knew right away that was the problem.
Kinda new to this forum, but I must respectively suggest this issue be made a Sticky. Better than that, hey Ford, HOW 'BOUT MAKING IT A SERVICE BULLETIN?
This thing looks like so many that I have seen researching the F150 Forum.
The F150's supposedly had more problems with corrosion being mounted directly to the frame.
On my '05 EXPY, it's mounted to a sheet metal bracket near the line of fire of the driver side rear wheel throwing road spray. Need to remove spare to make it easier to get to. First sign of trouble were the two 8MM bolts breaking off.
There's not even a suggestion of a fender liner or some kind of baffle to protect it. What's even more amazing is how much the force of the corrosion of the dissimilar pot metal pressing against this sheet metal bracket actually warped the snot out of said bracket. The rot hole that was formed meant water seeped through making contact with the PC board inside, and the oxidized powdered metal that also made it's way inside finally shorted the board out.
This module is the "brain" of your fuel pump, the thing that eliminates the return type pumps from modern injection systems. Ford could and should have taken a lot more care in where it mounted it and protecting it from the elements. I'm going to take further precautions, or, as my wife always tells me, overkill, to prevent this from ever stranding me. The Dorman's replacement that I got from Amazon- $58, at the recommendation of the F150 Forum, has two rubber isolators that keep it away from the sheet metal bracket and allow air circulation. This, and at a fraction of what it cost at Ford. I'm going to bed liner the metal part and make a flexible plastic "semi fender liner" to shield it from road spray.
I urge everyone who has this system in their Ford to check on it and replace/modify it so that it won't strand you like it did to me. And check it out before anyone fools you in going to more trouble and expense dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump. Also, my experience shows that it doesn't always throw a code.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will post this again to hopefully inform others that will ask.

The "Fuel Pump Driver Module" is only on the 2005 and 2006 model years