GEM or Fuse box Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ampfence

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition, I checked all the fuses and they are good. I saw that sometime the gem is bad if it gets wet. I called about on and it sounds like my year does not have one. The dealer said it must be fuse box.

The power locks do not work. The power seats do not work all the time. The dome lights only work some times. The brake light are now working along with the turn singles.

I can get a fuse box from the dealer for over 400 bucks but I would like to make sure that is it.

Thank you for your help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.
Invest in a test light and voltmeter, get the wiring diagrams and fix it yourself for much less than the dealer is telling you.
Most places no longer trouble shoot - they have become "parts tossers" and keep tossing until they finally get it.

Let us know if you want to find and fix it yourself.

OP
OP
A

ampfence

Reaction score
It is hard for me to fix it my self with 3 kids running around, but I might have to make the time to do so.
Thank you for your input.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 03 and all second Gen's don't have a gem Just a fuse box also called a smart junction box.

As Stamp said let us know if you decide to repair it yourself.

Just replacing the fuse box could be costly if your problem is in the wiring circuits.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you read and understand wiring diagrams? This is just for us to know how to describe the troubleshooting steps - novice - semi experienced or guru.

OP
OP
A

ampfence

Reaction score
Thank you

The 03 and all second Gen's don't have a gem Just a fuse box also called a smart junction box.

As Stamp said let us know if you decide to repair it yourself.

Just replacing the fuse box could be costly if your problem is in the wiring circuits.

Yes I will fix it my self. Thank you

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2003 fuse box is a "dumb" box should you decide to start the ts there.

The usual problems have been an overloaded fuel pump circuit or spade connectors that have opened up due to the hot/cold cycles encountered though use over time.

Disassembly is pretty straightforward, take a pic of fuse locations so that you have a location chart by color once you start the reassembly. Once it is apart you can use needle nose pliers to squeeze the terminals to make the fuse connections more secure.

Last edited: